General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clanking Issue - Maybe Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Default Clanking Issue - Maybe Motor Mounts?

I have a clanking issue with my car sometimes (2004 V6 Accord) -

1. Let's say I previously drove it in reverse. If I put it in drive and hit the gas (with moderate intensity) a "clank" will come from the engine. Only the FIRST time I hit the gas in drive, if I hit the gas with the same or greater intensity subsequently then no clank.

2. Let's say I previously drove it in drive. If I put it in reverse and hit the gas (with moderate intensity) a "clank" will come from the engine. Only the FIRST time I hit the gas in reverse, if I hit the gas with the same or greater intensity subsequently then no clank.

In both cases, if I just let the car coast or just gently hit the gas, then no clank, UNTIL the point that I moderately hit the gas.

I SUSPECT that the issue is worn motor mounts - this is because when I switch the car from drive/reverse it changes the loading on the transmission/engine, which shift a bit too much as a result of the worn mounts. When I gently hit the gas then no clank because there is not enough force for a shift, but once I moderately hit the gas and then I get the clank I don't get any more clank until I change gears to the other one (drive/reverse) because the engine has already shifted to compensate for different loads.

Of course, this theory of mine could be wrong, hence why I'm posting this here to get some insight.

Below is a video of this happening (you may need to turn up your volume to hear the clanks, one clank as I shift from reverse -> drive and then another from drive -> reverse.)

Last edited by sawtooth500; 11-21-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Have your axles checked.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:33 PM

Are you referring to the CV axle or another part? I ask because I just changed the CV axle shaft like somewhere between 5-10K miles ago, and this clanking started long after that change...

Old 11-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

If engine mounts are to blame, you should be able to open the hood & try the same thing you did in the video. You'd see the engine moving excessively causing the clank.
(be careful the hood doesn't hit anything like the garage door)
Or you could just grab the valve cover & shake it to duplicate the noise.