General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clicking noise under high acceleration

Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Default clicking noise under high acceleration

hi guys,

I have been enjoying my Honda for a while now, really love the car. It pulls when I want it and how I want it. However I have a couple of things:

1- under heavy acceleration, I get a click click click click noise from the front of the engine (so I think), most noticeable on 2nd and 3rd gear. I don't get this clicking noise when stationary and however I rev the engine. the clicking noise disappear as I ease off the acceleration. Any idea what it could be?

2- when cold, the biting point on the clutch is very low, almost to the ground, as the car warms up, the biting point gets higher and higher. surely this has never happened on any other cars that I owned in the past. This can't be normal.

Any idea, suggestions would be welcome.

Honda accord SE executive 1999 2 liter engine Vtec.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

1) Noise - Could be a weak CV axle making noise under load. Perhaps a loose exhaust heat shield vibrating under acceleration.

2) Clutch - Possible weak clutch master cylinder piston seals that leaks a bit when cold and seals better as the MC warms. As you push the clutch the piston may leak until pressure builds and seals leading to additional stroke to actuate the slave cylinder. When MC warms, there is no initial leakage leading to normal operations.

good luck

Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The first thing that came to my mind for the ticking was an exhaust manifold leak. Under heavy acceleration exhaust pressure would be at it's greatest, if there is a weak spot in the gasket or perhaps a crack this could possibly be exploited, at least until it gets worse.

For the clutch issue, this may be kinda 'out there' but if there was alot of moisture in the bell housing somehow causing the flywheel to surface rust, the clutch would have alot more friction, kind of like how your brakes are really touchy when the car has been sitting for a few days. This could make it seem like it has a lower release point. But I have never actually encountered or heard tell of this.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the replies and comments guys, really appreciate it.

I will go under the car and examine the exhust system, I know the back box is croded and will need replacement soon. So a good excuse to examine/replace all the other bits.

Would it be reasonable to let the car tickover for a few minutes before driving away in the mornings, so that I don't put too much pressure on the clutch? (warm up a bit)

regards

Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

We can assume the clutch fluid is full and clean...much like brake fluid, which it is, it needs to be changed every now and then.....cold, means the pedal has not moved....warmed up means the clutch has been used a few times pushing any air and that out of the way....yes "kinda out there" as well.