General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate/heater/temp control cable location in bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Default Climate/heater/temp control cable location in bay

Hi all,

My climate control on my 1995 accord ex w/h22 swap isn't working properly and I would like to trace the cable back to the engine bay. Can anyone post a picture showing me where this cable is located in the engine so I can adjust it or just permanently set it to heat till the winter is over? It's stuck on cold right now, the cable on the back of the in cabin is properly attached. Thank you!

meek

Old 10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Climate/heater/temp control cable location in bay

It doesn't go into the bay, it adjust the heater core in the cabin in the passenger foot well. You should make sure the dial is working correctly before you tear into the heater core. It's much easier to remove the dash trim than work down there.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: thewraith

Hi all,

My climate control on my 1995 accord ex w/h22 swap isn't working properly and I would like to trace the cable back to the engine bay. Can anyone post a picture showing me where this cable is located in the engine so I can adjust it or just permanently set it to heat till the winter is over? It's stuck on cold right now, the cable on the back of the in cabin is properly attached. Thank you!

meek
Its right behind/under the throttle body on the passenger side at the firewall.

it's easier to see it if you remove the air-filter assembly, the cable is clearly visible, attached to the heater valve which is itself attached to a large coolant hose...(see attached drawing for reference).

This seems to be a common failure with 5th gen accords, what i did with mine is disconnect the cable from the valve, spray some wd40 on the lever arm until it moved more freely than reattached the cable...

Good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/18533/C5020553E6664F999A6553112ECBB219.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Thanks fellas. adeal, I did what you recommended and even swung it all the way to the right and left, no change in temp. i will try to check finches suggestion tomorrow as it's dark now. thank you both!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: thewraith

Thanks fellas. adeal, I did what you recommended and even swung it all the way to the right and left, no change in temp. i will try to check finches suggestion tomorrow as it's dark now. thank you both!
Sorry to hear it didnt work. Was the coolant in the hose near the valve warm enough ?
There are 2 hoses connected to the heater core and i guess the heat transfer comes from the coolant, so the heater might not work until the engine reaches a certain temperature...
I am not quite sure how the whole thing works, but in my case, the lever arm was kind of stuck and since i freed it, the heater started working...
Finch's idea is good, the dial **** tends to crack due to the excessive force applied and sometimes, the mechanism behind can also break, there are some plastic pinions there that can get out of sync..
this said, the heater should have worked even if the dial is dead, you said you manually adjusted the heater valve to an open position...
again make sure there is warm coolant reaching these hoses (carefully check if they are hot), that might be your problem (stuck hoses)....
Good luck anyway, let us know if you can fix it