General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking noise and slight jerk when engaging into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Default Clunking noise and slight jerk when engaging into first gear

Hey guys, for the past two days I've been getting this weird clunking noise when engaging into first gear. I own a 2007 accord and had no issues until now. So basically when I shift into first and start releasing the clutch everything seems fine. But when the clutch pedal is at the very top there is a clunking noise and a slight jerk in the front of the car. It feels like a broken mount but I have checked all of the mounts and they are fine. This only happens in first gear. Does anyone know what may cause this noise and jerk? If so, please help me out thanks.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by narcotix
Hey guys, for the past two days I've been getting this weird clunking noise when engaging into first gear.... But when the clutch pedal is at the very top there is a clunking noise and a slight jerk in the front of the car.
Also drive an Altima 5spd and I've noticed it does something similar to this in 1st, not so much at the top of the clutch pedal movement, but as slack is taken out of tranny/axles/whatever at start of movement.
'Noise and jerk' is pretty faint on this car. It followed axle replacement by about 10K miles, hasn't gotten worse; seldom notice it anymore.

So no, I don't know what causes it. If you or someone else figures it out, please post back up.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply UhOh. I was thinking it could be several things. One, the mounts but I highly doubt it. Perhaps a warped fly wheel but I never experienced how a warped fly wheel feels like so I'm not sure. And the last thing is a slipping clutch but my clutch is still good and it doesn't slip in high gear. So at this point I really have no idea what could be the problem. Does any one what a warped flywheel feels like? Thanks for your help

Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM

It sounds to me like you have a torque mount that is worn. This is the engine mount that is normally at the top of the engine and keeps the engine from rocking front to back. if it is worn, the engine will rock a distance till it hits the other side of the torque mount bushing and you will feel it. (think of the entire engine moving sideways then running into the other side.. per Klunk...

To test, Ebrake on.. have someone shift from first to reverse and watch if the engine shifts forwards and back as the clutch is let out. Be careful not to stand in front of the car, incase it lunges forward.

Second issued could be the rotational springs on the clutch disc. I am not sure if Honda has them.. but they are the springs that are rivited into the clutch disc and compress when the clutch engages. They are there to smooth the engagement process. When they wear out, the rotational value of the clutch disc increases and can cause a Klunk noise also.

I am banking on the mounts first

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the reply accord1224. The symptoms resemble a broken mount. However, the clunk and jerk only starts after I have driven the car for about half hour. In other words, in the morning after I let it run for 5 minutes, there is no noise or jerk. The engagement is smooth. But once I drive for a while the clunk becomes progressively worse. My mechanic checked all of my mounts and he said they were fine. So I started thinking it could be something in the clutch assembly. What causes the rotational springs to go bad? What else can cause this clunk noise knowing the fact that it only starts happening after driving for a while? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Narcotix,
not sure what might be the problem now. the springs go bad on the clutch disc just from usage... but that might not be the problem if it only happens afer the car is warmed up. I don't know much about diagnosis problems on the inside of a straight drive transmission.

I am guessing you did check the fluid levels of the trans? maybe.. just maybe.... it's low causing a binding when warmed up... but that's a long shot.... check the fluid level anyway.. might be the fix.... let us know what you find

Brian B

Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Accord1224,
Thanks again for your input. All my fluids are good and at the level they need to be. Today she drove great. There was no clunking noise or jerkiness. I started wondering what may have changed. The only difference is the weather. It has been over 40 degrees for the past two days. So I started doing some research on how cold weather affects the clutch disk. I actually found people having the same problem as I, however, they do not have any clunking. What they do have, is a "sticky" clutch. Mine feels the same. It's almost like it grabs hard at the top of the pedal travel. Since in warmer weather it drives fine, I'm guessing that the clutch behaves differently in colder weather. I still however, can't explain the clunking. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks a lot