General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Clutch?

Well I just got my car all tuned up and the brakes done, and wouldn't you know it. The darn thing is making a noise when I use the clutch. When I push the clutch to the floor the noise goes away, when I let off the clutch the noise comes back. Seems to be a loud humming noise. A buddy said it might be the throwout bearing. After doing a little online research I have figured that this is probably the problem.

My car is a 1995 Accord EX 4cyl. any input from anyone on a certain brand of clutch kit I should get for this car? This car is used for normal daily driving. Nothing souped up on this car.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Try this...
Put it in neutral & have the engine running.
Engage the clutch (let out the pedal). It should be making the noise now.
Disengage the clutch suddenly (press the pedal down suddenly) & listen.

A bad throwout bearing should get quiet almost instantly.

A bad transmission-shaft bearing will take a second or 2 before it coasts to a stop.

Also, a bad throwout bearing should get quiet if you just press the pedal down a small amount. That puts a small thrust-load on the throw-out bearing to hold it together. A bad trans-shaft bearing will still be spinning until you press the pedal all the way down.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Jim I will try this. If it is a bad throwout bearing or a bad transmission shaft bearing does that mean that I should do the clutch while i'm in there?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal , it is a bad input shaft bearing ..

if noise does not bother you ,, you can drive the car ,, I have seen trannies with bad bearing ( noisy ) drive for several years ,,,,,,,if noise stays the same drive it if noise gets louder ( daily, weekly ) then it is time to repair tranny ,, get a used tranny cheapest way to go about it

Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, no matter what makes the noise, a BIG part of the job is removing the transmission from the car. So you should really think about a new clutch while you're in there.