General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clutch problems

Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
97exaccord
Unregistered
Default clutch problems

New to the forum..First post.

1997 acoord EX 5 Speed. Have had no problems with the car until today...

Went out to start the car. With clutch engaged, car starts right up but won't shift. Clutch feels a little softer, but it may be my imagination. The pedal goes down and has a slight hesitation and comes back up.

Checked the slave and the master cylinder. Fluid levels are at max, no change from last check. (About a month ago)

The clutch has not been slipping, I don't see any fluid leaks anywhere. No strange noises have been heard now or up to now.

Used the search but couldn't find quite what I am looking for.

Any recommedations? Maybe bleed the two cylinders and see what happens. Don't know how air could have gotten in and with no fluid loss detected...Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot and looking forward to checking out more info on the site...Looks like a lot is here............

Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Default RE: clutch problems

I have never owned a manual myself but I know others that have. Check the fluid inside the tranny, it could be low. I'd check that first. Also, have you tried putting into any other gear? I know that Honda's have a sync system so that you can't put the car into reverse while moving. You also might want to check the linkages. Lastly, I'd look at the computer. I don't know if 97's can recognize tranny problems but a lot on newer Accord's show a blinking drive light in automatics.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Check your release cylinder or hydralic line and also I wonder if maybe you have a broken or cracked release bearing fork..
What do you think Desert Honda???

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sounds more like a failed master cylinder. Piston is bypassing fluid so no or reduced pressure build to actuate slave cylinder and no external leak. Similar to a brake master cylinder that gradually depresses. Try "pumping" your clutch. If that temporarily fixes the problem, clutch master cylinder is confirmed.

good luck