General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clutch or tranny problem ?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 AM
unR8ted
Unregistered
Default clutch or tranny problem ?

Hi all, i was wondering if i can get some help here. This last week end i was driving home at 5am and when i was like 3 miles from home. it felt like my gears popped out it just rev but wouldnt catch. i look down and it was still in gear so i tried switch gears and its all the same for all gears. so i had to push it to the closest house i knew. the next day i went and tried to see if it would work and nope this time i didnt even have to step on the clutch to change gears and still just revs didnt catch nuthing. now i think i drop my clutch. but just making sure could it just be a clutch spring. Or wouldi have to replace a whole new tranny and clutch. Winter coming and i need my car. also is there any way i can tell what to replace with out towing it to a shop. thanks,

its a 2000 accord coupe lx
manual tranny

Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: clutch or tranny problem ?

Could be slave cylinder.. or the actual cable.. Are you grinding gears trying to get it into 1st?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:45 AM
unR8ted
Unregistered

when start the car i can freely change gears WITHOUT STEPING ON THE CLUTCH and there is no noise at all.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think it's the clutch or pressure plate. Either way, it's the same job. Could be the throw out bearing too, but I'd think that would make noise when shifting when the car's off.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 AM
unR8ted
Unregistered

you think that maybe it could be that the shaft could of got out of place

Old 11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
unR8ted
Unregistered

i was talking to a tech friend of mine and he said that before i start buying every thing. it couldbe my master cylinder is messing it up and not releasing the clutch so all i have to do is bleed the system out and that would work if thats the problem. i will try to do that later tonight and see the results hope its just that.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
unR8ted
Unregistered

well bleeding the clutch didnt help at all still the same.huh

Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 AM
unR8ted
Unregistered

ok just got done putting every thing in yesterday and wow my old clutch was completly gone no more pads even let plus glad i got a new flywheel kus it was all ate up. also i dont think that your throw out bearing should come apart but it did. but yea putting in a new clutch flywheel. did the job and now my car is moving. love my new clutch only have to release about an inch and it grabs. dont even know how many times i killed the car. now i have to figure out why my vtech not working