General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil and Resistor Replacement (Labor Time?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 PM
goucho
Unregistered
Default Coil and Resistor Replacement (Labor Time?)

My girlfriend's 91 Accord recently wouldn't start. I pulled the Spark plug wires and 3/4 cylinders had oil in the holes. The plugs were also loose. I cleaned everything up and tightened down the plugs but it still wouldn't work. We took it to a repair shop that was recommended to us.

It turns out the Valve Cover Gasket (set) was old and this cause the oil to get into the plug holes. This in turn caused the Coil to burn out. After all was said and done, this was the final invoice:

COIL - $109.92
RESISTOR - $79.84
SPARK PLUGS - $3.48 x 4
VALVE COVER GASKET SET - $43.84

Labor Time for Coil & Resistor - 2 Hours
Labor Time for Gaskets - 1.5 Hours

I'm sure that the parts needed were legit and a common price. My only concern is the Labor Time. He said he gave us a deal on the Labor by a couple hours, but I think this was just the normal repair time. Does anyone know about how long this might take? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Did they replace the 'O'ring seals under the rocker arms?
R&R rocker arms along with valve cover gasket replacement shows 3.5 hrs standard flat rate time.
Dist. rebuild / replacement of componets shows shows 1.4 hrs standard flat rate time.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

on the coil+ resistor , they might have charged you some diagnose time for 2 hrs total,, if they charged you separate for diagnose then 2 hrs is too much to just replace coil + resistor,
As for the valve cover gasket and seals,, if they just replaced the upper seals 1.5 hrs is a rip off big time . should charge you .5 hr . Now if they also replaced the lower rocker arm seals then 1.5 is one hell of a deal.. also 43 dollars is way too much for seals valve cover gasket is 11 dollars. 4 upper seals, about 4 dollars each .4 lower rocker arm seals about 3 dollars each ( assuming they did those as well)