General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Default Cold Starting

2005 Accord stalls after a few minutes of starting. We only see this issue when it is cold (below 40). After the car warms up it no longer stalls. It has happend anywhere from a few seconds after starting to 5 minutes into the drive. Once it has warmed up (over 40 degrees) it runs fine. Living in the metro phx area i only experience this problem between Dec - feb and only when it is very cold. We have heard everything from plugs to O2 Sensor. I am trying to avoid randomly replacing parts. Honda service and a local garage cannot duplicate the issue. Mainly because they aren't trying to start it a 6 am like we do.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need to be more precise in your description "stalls after a few minutes of starting".

Does car always immediately restart or hard restart?

Do you have access to an obd2 scanner that can monitor some of the key sensor inputs; coolant temp, air temp, Long Term Fuel Trim, Short term fuel trim, etc?

Any chance this is an immobilizer issue? blinking immoblizer light?

Does engine stop suddenly or die slowly?

good luck

Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 PM

The car shuts down like the battery is drained. It has to sit for a few minutes and then can be started. When it does re-start we have to let it idle until the engine warms up.

No access to any of those monitors. The Honda dealership would be the ones that I would expect to check that.

Unfortunately they cannot reproduce the issue. The only constant is cold outside temps. In about 6 weeks we won't see this again until the temps dip in nov-dec.

It isn't my car so I have only seen this happen once. by the time we got it to the shop they couldn't re-produce the problem.

I was just hoping someone else had seen this.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

"shuts down like the battery is drained" suggests to me a sudden stoppage like ignition switch turned off. Is that the case?

You should also add whether 4-cyl or 6-cyl.

About all I can suggest is watching dash panel when engine stops. Do the normal lights (Check Engine, Oil Pressure, Alt) come on immediately or black panel? If panel is black, you may have a failing ignition switch assy.

good luck

Old 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM

4Cyl.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know it's difficult to pinpoint a problem without seeing it in action. I have only seen this occur once myself. Typically I would take this in but after two trips to two different places I still can't get this fixed. I am changing the plugs this weekend but it is warming up here and I may not see this again until next winter. If I see the problem again I will reply to this thread.