General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression/Overheating Issue- Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Default Compression/Overheating Issue- Newbie

Hello everyone,

This is my first post but hope someone can help.

My 1993 Honda Accord, 5-speed, with 203,000 miles is having issues.

A couple weeks ago, the brake light came on and I thought maybe the sensor on the parking brake might be bad. Well the brake pedal started getting mushy, so I checked the brake resevoir and it was empty. I filled it back up and pumped the brake but still squishy from time to time and from what I have seen, this is a classic master cylinder issue which I was planning on fixing next week. This has gotten a lot worse.

Now in the last week, I installed a borrowed sound system (just a Pioneer CD receiver and 4 Infinity speakers from the Eclipse GSX I am rehabilitating), and been running A/C due to the heat, and the car's fan has been kicking on and running continuously when I turn the car off for a good 30 min to an hour. The night I had installed this, I was on my way to pick up my fiance from work with the A/C and stereo up, as I was testing the system. At a red light, the car died and the Check Engine Light came on and stayed on until I arrived at her work (a distance of about 2 miles). I turned it off and back on, and the light was off.

Now yesterday, I pick her up from work, we go to a park and the car is idling for 20 min, we leave and the car dies everytime I am slowing down, a total of 4 times,, with the Check Engine Light on again. I get home, turn it off and back on, check engine light off. I pop the hood and one of the full injector plugs are out. So I plug it in, go to the autozone to get oil, and it dies again. This morning with the engine cooled, I noticed it was down 1.5 Quarts.

It always seems to be worse if the A/C is on. In fact if the car is sputtering at 1000RPM, and I turn on the A/C, the car dies.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Get the codes from the CEL. Look in the DIY section for how to do this.

Find the source of the oil leak, pull the plug wires and see if they are soaked.

When was the last tune up?

When the ac is on, do BOTH fans come on? What is the coolant level in the rad.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Coolant was low but now filled so I hope this part is solved, unfortunately I am at work today so can't run codes.

Well I think I found the cause of the other issues... I pull the caps off the spark plugs and oil drips off... Uggh valve cover gasket anyone?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Tube seals, so yes, valve cover gasket and seals....BTW there are two seals. One requires removing the rocker assy. Not sure how low the coolant was but you might look for a leak and also did you bled the air...agian, not sure how low it was.

Last, don't take my comment on HT the wrong way......

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM

No offense taken... haha... Replacing the valve cover tomorrow in the uggh 94 degree weather. Is that a different gasket not included in the valve cover kit. And I know I saw horror stories on the fel-pro gasket but any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, IIRC, on the 93 there are seals, total 8. They should come in a "kit", whatever place you call-ask them if the seals are in the kit. Personally can't comment on Fel-Pro....as I never used them before. I have used Victor gaskets with good results...ask someone else, different answer,,,,to each their own.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Question 93 accord overheating! I need help!

i have a 93 accord and just outa the blue it started overheating, theres pleanty of water/antifreeze in the reservor an the radiator, my temp. gauge shows me its overheating when im driving on the highway so to prevent it from overheating i turn my heater or ac on FULL blast to keep it from smoking an completetly overheating, it hasent done that yet, but also BOTH my fans infront of my radiator are not working, they r only working when my AC is on which im told is not normal, i dont hav a clue what to do, and if its a simple fix id rather have sum1 else do it, rather then spend $300 to have my mechanic do it, can someone help me??

Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

"taylor"...kind of a thread jack.....but anyway.

I'd start with replacing the thermostat, might not be the issue but IMO a cheap try. From there check the common DIY thread (second from the top) for the thermo switches. Key on, jump thermo/switch a with a paper clip or something. Do the fans come on?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 AM

i appreciate your help, i had the thermostat replaced an its still doin it, an no the fans arent coming on unless the AC's on

Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Be sure that the cooling system is/has been properly blead......

You say it over heats at highway speeds, what about at idle?