General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

conserning engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default conserning engine noise

Ive been hearing what i think is my valves starting to tap alittle. I only hear it at idle when im outside the car after its warmed up. I herd that a bigger higher flow oil filter will fix this but I can't find anything bigger. And im pretty sure my valves have never been adjusted. Im sending it away Monday to get it done. But is valve adjustment something that is usually done on a regular basis? I never had to do it before. Im just worried it might be something else tapping, I know its hard to understand without hearing. Idk if its a knock or a tap or what. It still runs great didn't notice any power change . I have 154 k on it now and I run it pretty hard. It just started with this cold weather and only after warmed up. Oil was just changed and is correct level. Any ideas if a valve adjustment will help or should I look deeper into the problem before paying the money

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I had mine adjusted at the dealer at 136k miles, it quieted down considerably. However for the first week some valve or rocker made an extra pop/clack sound from the side near #1 but fixed itself. It's still quite quiet almost 2 years later.
Are you using synthetic oil?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Almost A Senior Member

No I use Valvoline synthetic blend. I havnt switched to full synthetic yet. I was useing Valvoline conventional but switched at 150k to blended I always used Valvoline. Ill go full synthetic at 200k. But I never had a car that chatters like this. Its not bad at all. just noticeable , u can lightly hear every valve. I never had to adjust valves in any of my vehicles ever. But I guess since these are interference motors its almost a regular maintance thing with timing belt( which I never had to replace either on other vehicles) did u notice any power increase with getting your valves done. Hopefully. It will quiet her down alittle

Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Valvoline is good oil, If you want, just get a qt of Valvoline synthetic and keep it around if the level goes down.
No performance improvement per se with the valve adjustment, but I had the 105k mile service at that time with the TB and everything else. Fuel mileage went up 1 or 2 to 27-28 mpg, I guess.
I noticed more of an improvement with the spark plug and distributor cap change. Low end seems to suffer when the plugs get old. 150hp isn't much in a 15yr old vehicle, it's not a quick car by any means.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I just did my timing belt I just couldn't afford the valve job at the time. Im just trying to make the motor more sound and stable. I've always been big with maintenance, I do plugs/ wires yearly. Oil change every 2500 or 3000 tranny fluid every 5000-6000k. My car only has 150k which everyone says if I keep up the maintenance on a Honda she will last 300k easy. Im just trying to keep her running tip top. Idk if valve adjustment is something that is a big deal on Honda's or not. And I put alot of performance parts on my car. So I should be pushing more then 150hp. Maintenance is more of a relaxing hobby for me. I spend more time in my garage then anywhere else just tinkering

Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Well then valve adjustment is just the thing to do yourself. Its not difficult, and there's hardly any cost besides your time. If you just did the timing belt then it's likely your valvecover gasket is new, so I bet it'll re-seal OK.