General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant leaking where oil leak was?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Coolant leaking where oil leak was?

Alright so I have had this oil leak for a while now and today I noticed that there is now coolant leaking where the oil was leaking from and the oil leak seems to have slowed. What could this be? I'm taking the car to my mechanic Monday to finally have this problem fixed but just wondering why would there be coolant leaking now.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You might at least give a location where you saw oil and coolant dripping. We're not mind readers and can only respond to what is written. No description means no effective responses.

good luck

Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You might at least give a location where you saw oil and coolant dripping. We're not mind readers and can only respond to what is written. No description means no effective responses.

good luck
Sorry I put this post up in a hurry. Its on the drivers side, looks like its coming from the timing cover. When I first took it to my mechanic he told me it could be the balancer shaft seal by just looking around the area. Weird thing about today is it really didn't leak oil but it leaked water which I have never seen before.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

My guess is that you have two leaks now. The oil leak is probably slower.

The oil leak is common from the shaft seals and o-ring seal under rear balance shaft gear behind the timing belt cover.

The coolant leak is likely from a failing water pump. Look to see if the leak is coming from a weep hole.

Regardless, you should have the timing belt, water pump, and the seals replaced. There are four seals. Definitely replace the o-ring and any leaking seal. You will get different opinions about replacing a seal that isn't leaking. Make sure a front balance shaft seal retainer is installed.

If you are due for the timing belt (every 7 years or 90K miles), then this is a maintenance item.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
My guess is that you have two leaks now. The oil leak is probably slower.

The oil leak is common from the shaft seals and o-ring seal under rear balance shaft gear behind the timing belt cover.

The coolant leak is likely from a failing water pump. Look to see if the leak is coming from a weep hole.

Regardless, you should have the timing belt, water pump, and the seals replaced. There are four seals. Definitely replace the o-ring and any leaking seal. You will get different opinions about replacing a seal that isn't leaking. Make sure a front balance shaft seal retainer is installed.

If you are due for the timing belt (every 7 years or 90K miles), then this is a maintenance item.
Ya that it what I am assuming. It just seems like the oil leak has slowed down a lot. My mechanic quoted me $340 to change the timing belt, water pump, the balancer shaft seal and I believe some other seals.