General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil and Coolant leak - where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil and Coolant leak - where to start?

I'm really really new at all this car stuff, but I'm trying really hard to learn. Last year I learned how to troubleshoot electrical issues, solder lots of wires, and you guys even walked me through replacing my radiator fan, which was by far the most automotive thing I've ever done - but I actually did it, and it was the best feeling! So I know that I'm about to sound really dumb, but I really am learning, and it's so exciting to be able to fix some of my own car problems.

So my car has been leaking oil and coolant. The last few oil changes, they told me that they filled up my coolant, and that I had a coolant leak. I tucked that information away with the other information that I didn't have the money to deal with. A few weeks ago, my oil light came on. I had just had an oil change a few weeks ago, but someone told me that old cars burn oil, so I put a couple quarts of oil in and it went away. The oil light hasn't come back on, but it looks like my oil level is pretty low now, so I'll put in more. I've noticed my radiator fan staying on longer than normal when I turn off the car, and today, the temperature gauge got a lot higher than I've seen it. So I'm guessing that it's time to try to figure out how all these fluids work, at the very least to have a better working knowledge of what's going on, so if it's something that I need a garage to fix, I won't get completely screwed over.

So here are the facts:
- 1995 Honda Accord EX, 197k miles, 5 speed manual transmission
- Oil is low, put 2 qts in after the oil light came on a few weeks ago.
- Last oil change was about a month and a half ago.
- When the car is off, the radiator reservoir (or at least I think that's what the plastic bottle next to the radiator is) is almost empty. I've never looked at it before, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be, or how long it has been.
- I don't ever see any pools of liquid under my car. My driveway is dirt, so I wouldn't be able to see any real stains, but as far as I can tell, I've never seen anything come out under the car.
- In theory, my coolant has been getting topped off at regular oil changes (I know, I'm learning to do them myself, but I don't have a garage, and I live in CT, and I was planning on learning when it got warmer out and I didn't have to lay in the snow)
- When I bought the car last year, the radiator fan motor was melted. (See previous thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...01/#post328087)

So ... where do I start troubleshooting? What should I do tonight to make sure I get to work tomorrow? I'm assuming that I should add coolant, but to the reservoir? Or the radiator? Should I add a couple more quarts of oil tonight? Is there a way to tell how much I need?

I started reading about how to flush and refill the coolant, but I wanted to make sure that I'm starting in the right place before I just start doing things and hoping that they help.

I was reading about how to find leaks.... should I start with the hoses? Or does an oil and coolant leak at the same time point in a different direction? I'm pretty resourceful and not afraid to google, but I'm in over my head, so I really appreciate any advice for where to start.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you have two leaks (coolant and oil).

For the oil, add 1 quart of oil, give it about 30 seconds, then check the dipstick. The lower hole is the lower range. The upper dot is 1 quart higher and the upper range. Add until you get to the upper dot. Check oil dipstick every day and keep some oil in the trunk of the car until you find and repair the oil leak.

Were you losing any oil before the oil change? If you were not, then you may want to check the oil filter. The old gasket may have stuck to the block and now the new filter/gasket can't seal. Look at the engine block from above the car (use jackstands on solid ground, if checking below the car) for oil stains. The valve cover, distributor, VTec, oil pressure sending unit, behind the timing belt cover are some common places. You may want to put a piece of carboard under the car when the engine cools to find the leak. Putting it under a hot exhaust could cause a fire.

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap. Make sure the radiator is filled to the top with coolant (50:50 mix of coolant:water). You can buy the premixed stuff. You can add coolant to fill the radiator overflow bottle (clearish bottle that you see the level). If the temperature gauge starts to rise, then turn on the heat full blast to help cool the coolant. You may be miserable, but overheating the engine can damage the engine.

While at a parts store, rent a radiator pressure tester. There will be adapters to basically hook up a hand air pump to the radiator with a gauge. Pressure the radiator until you get about 14-15 psi. The radiator should hold pressure for some time. Do this with the engine cold.

Here is a video on a coolant leak:

Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I'll add a couple points...

The "oil warning light" is for pressure, not for the amount of oil. Always keep checking the oil on the dipstick. If you wait for the warning light to come on, that's way too late.

Checking the coolant level in that white plastic overflow bottle is good, but you also need to sometimes check the coolant level inside the actual radiator. There can be problems with the radiator cap which cause the radiator to get empty while the overflow bottle is still full.