General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Default Cooling Fan question

Hello, I have a 2004 Honda Accord 4DR EX 4Cyl 2.4L, and it appears that the radiator fan (driver's side) has gone dead. So far the car has not overheated (the needle doesn't even go past the halfway mark), but it does not turn on when I turn on the A/C, which I believe should make it turn on. To test it, I unplugged the the power connector going to the fan and measured the voltage with the A/C on and it was getting power. I also tried applying power directly from the battery to the fan without success. Please someone correct me if there is another way I should have tested.

So I'm thinking I need to replace the motor. I looked at the 19030-RAA-A01 part from Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store, Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts and just the motor is like $200 (with S&H).

I looked at 2003-2007 Honda Accord Radiator Dual Cooling Fan Assembly for L4 2.4L with Nippondenso Radiator at 1AAuto.com and they have the the whole Dual Cooling Fan Assembly for $100. By the way, I can't seem to tell for sure if I have the Nippondenso Radiator or the Valeo one, but I think it's the Nippondenso. Anyone know how to tell for sure?

My question is, is it worth getting the generic whole assembly one, or should I get the OEM motor? What are the dangers of going with that generic one? I'm afraid the other motor might go soon, and then I'll have to spend another $200.

Thank you in advance!

-Dorian

Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, the fan motor is dead....you put power to and it does nothing.

Look on the top part of the rad for any markings/writing.

I do a bit of looking to see if there is a better way of finding out which you have.

PS- Thanks for joining HAF

Old 02-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

How many blades are on the "pass side" fan motor?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

You can get replacement motors on rockauto for $65, or entire assemblies for $75.

I'd probably just order the entire assembly from them for $75.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
How many blades are on the "pass side" fan motor?
The passenger side fan has 7 blades. When I look up my car through VIN it shows DENSO for the radiator part here:
19010-RAA-A51 - Honda RADIATOR (DENSO)

My biggest concern is should I go with OEM fan or something else (e.g. TYC brand)?

Thank you both!

Last edited by onortosu; 02-22-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I work in the automotive aftermarket but will try to keep that out of the picture.

For the rad fan stuff, IMHO the aftermarket will work fine. TYC is a good aftermarket supplier, I personally would have no problem with putting one of their cooling fans in my cars.

Dorman products is another good aftermarket supplier for fans. In fact I went to their web site to look up the fans for your car. With their detailed pictures of the two fans that could fit your car, that is why I came back with the question about the number of blades on the pass side fan. Google "dorman products" and go to their site and look up your car, you will see the two different ones and if you "zoom" into the pic's of the two you will see that difference in the pass side fan.

Don't get me wrong, their are other items where I would say "go to the dealer and get that part".

Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM

I went with the TYC 620690, got it from Amazon for $94.66, a little more expensive than
rockauto but I had free two day shipping so it worked out better.

I managed to get it on but ran into a couple of issues, so for posterity in case anyone else is trying to do the same thing and gets to this thread:
You need a long flathead screwdriver (or better yet a long fastener remover if you can find one) to pop off the fasteners that hold the connector wires to the assembly. Some of them are a pain to pop off too and I was afraid I was going to damage the wires. I don't know if there is an easy way to take them off.
The TYC part doesn't come with a bracket on the condenser fan (passenger) side which is needed to hold one of the connectors in place. I had to take it off the old part which had a rusted bolt, and it wasn't easy to take off. I also had to go and buy a new nut and bolt for it. The bracket did fit fine into the TYC assembly though. I just wish it had come with it as it would have saved me lots of trouble.
The TYC comes with its own reservoir, which is nice, but the reservoir isn't bolted the same way as the original part. I wanted to keep the original reservoir as I didn't want to mess with swapping the coolant. The original reservoir fits, but I lost the bolt of the TYC part. Luckily in my quest to find the bolt in the previous issue I had gotten a bolt that fit this.
I had to remove the radiator hose to get the assembly in and out. To get the spring off of the hose to move it I had to use some pliers. I'm sure there are special pliers that make this easy, but I didn't have them so beware if you have to do the same thing.

Thank you

Last edited by onortosu; 03-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the follow up, too many times we never know the end of the story.