General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan Relay Burning

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 PM
allanzz
Unregistered
Default Cooling Fan Relay Burning

Hi all,

My Car Spec:
Honda Accord CA5 - M/T 1989
A20A2

My car cooling fan relay keep burning for the third time today within this month. All of my a/c and both radiator fanare working fine.Istill can drive my carwithout any overheating problem as long as my cooling fan relay are working. I can drivefor a long journey on the highway without any problemcos of the wind factor, surelymy radiator fan are not activate to heat up cooling fan relay.But i can't turn on my a/c all the timesince it will make my cooling fan relay burn fast.

Basic car radiator fan operation:
1) radiator fan auto activate when engine running hot and turn off itself when idle temp
2) with a/c on, all the radiator fan will auto activate all the time regardless weather your engine temp runninghot or not.

Hope will get some answer from the expert here..

Thanks all for the help

Old 09-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cooling Fan Relay Burning

If the motor is in the process of burning itself up, it will draw excessive current thru the relay. I'm surprised it burns up the relay instead of blowing a fuse...

Check whether the motor spins nice without excessive friction. Check whether the fan blades are hitting the frame or the radiator or something like that.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

check the socket that the relay fits in. if there is a near short between the n.o. side and the n.c. side it could cause very excessive switching thus killing the relay .... if the short doesn't happen frequently, it could cause the problem that you describe.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 AM
allanzz
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

If the motor is in the process of burning itself up, it will draw excessive current thru the relay. I'm surprised it burns up the relay instead of blowing a fuse...

Check whether the motor spins nice without excessive friction. Check whether the fan blades are hitting the frame or the radiator or something like that.
Thanks jim for your answer, my fan working nicely without any problem at all, i'm surprised too my fuse also working fine.

falkore24, my relay socket got a little bit burn/melting due to excessive heat from relay itself, it only take me less thana minute to feel the heat from relay. It really too hot and could burn your finger if you touch it without using hand glove.

Someone told me that my car age are too old thus making most of my car wiring stiff and consume more ampere. He recomended me to change the wiring of that cooling fanrelay to rectify this. Since i can't open the back coverof the fuse/relay box itself due to permanent seal from the manufacturer, I do thinks to change a wholeset of my under hood fuse/relay box from the junkpart shop.(chop shop).

Can anybody give me someopinionon this?