General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Sensor Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM
SuperGeeky
Unregistered
Default Crank Sensor Error Message

Hi All: Just completed an exhaustive Timing Belt change on a 98 Accord V6.

I fired up the car this afternoon. After warming up it began to choke and sputter... The car ran fine at start up !!

I used my OBD II, pulled the PO335 code, Crank Sensor Error. What does this mean exactly?

Am I off by a tooth on the timing belt? Did I bump into the Crank Sensor and disconnect a wire, it's not working??

Is it possible the Crank Shaft isn't seated all the way?? Belts seem to be fine..

Thanks,

SuperGeeky

Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

P0335 is low input from that sensor.

If the cam timing is off a tooth I don't think that can cause this. Check out stuff like broken/pinched wires. Mabe even metal shavings stuck on the magnetic sensor (not probable since you probably cleaned it up?)

The 4-cyl has some kind of belt guide disk things that run alongside the crank sprocket. Does the V-6 have this? Are they positioned wrong to cause magnetic interference with that sensor?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
SuperGeeky
Unregistered

I don't think it's off a tooth either! It does have a belt guide you put on the outside of the sprocket.

So, it could be I put it on backwards? Hmm, pretty sure I checked for that.

I was mystified by how the Crankshaft went on the shaft. It wouldn't go all the way (flush). About a half inch space hanging out. I looked hard at the belt pulleys to make sure they were aligned correctly, just fine.

I figured the torque on the crankshaft bolt would make it seat correctly.

So, I think what your saying is, Crankshaft sensor is working but not well enough.

Now, I'm wondering if the Crankshaft is not in far enough. I should visually see if it were not...???

Responses are critical right now, we have to move in less than 72 hours to Atlanta. I've get to get this car on the road!!

Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Exclamation Hi New Member

That is supposed to be flush not any space anywhere..try calling your Honda mechanic
before it's to late to get any information..

Sorry to hear this just before your to go on a trip...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 PM
SuperGeeky
Unregistered

Whew, getting a hold of a Honda Tech, Friday afternoon, impossible! I tried and tried different dealerships, no way!

I took pictures as I was doing the job. Sure enough, the timing belt gear was flush, yet not enough room for the entire Crankshaft.

The Woodriff Key is sticking out about the same as before I took it apart. My concern was the Woodriff key was too far back somehow binding and preventing all to fit on the shaft.

I'm in the middle of taking the bottom Timing Belt cover off, after removing the Crankshaft and belts. I want to check if maybe I had loosened the attaching wire in hopes of removing the Crank Sensor, you know, get it out of the way

Thanks for replies,

SuperGeeky

Your newest Member

Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i would do as u r doing............... retrace all the work that you did,, you might have pinched the wire, loose connector? reposition it improperly?,,,,,,,any chance that you got fluid in the connector ?? ( water ) ?
if wiring is ok double chk to make sure that everything is installed properly