General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft oil seal should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Default Crankshaft oil seal should I replace?

Hey everyone, I’m changing my timing belt and found a bit more oil on the bottom of the engine than I was expecting. I thought I might need to replace the crank oil seal while I was at it, but it looks pretty good to me. I don’t really want to mess with this seal if I don’t have to. Partly because I don’t have a replacement seal right now or the tool to punch a new one in. I’d love to hear what you all think from the photos.

I know I have leaking valve cover gaskets so maybe it’s just running down from there. Also possibly the dipstick o-ring, is this necessary to replace? Should I change the oil pump seal while I’m in here?

2001 accord V6 205k miles. This will be 3rd timing belt.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

The cam seals on both of my J-Series engines started leaking at around the 150,000 mile mark; might want to give those a swap while you're in there.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Can't tell by your pictures how far up the block has oil. It doesn't look like the crank seal is wet by your picture. Look at the cam seals as shipo mentioned.

Replacing the seals isn't terrible difficult. Be careful not to gouge the crank of the outside block when removing. When installing, get the seal started square and get the depth about the same as the current seals.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The oring gasket beneath the oil filter fitting is in this vicinity and a common leaker. However it's outside the timing belt cover.

good luck