General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Cruise control not working

Among some of my cars problems the CC doesn't seem to work, and I don't know how to go about troubleshooting it.
Basically I push in the button and nothing, no lights come on. It's not something like a burned out light as the accel won't do anything either.

What is the normal operation for the CC button? is it supposed to pop back up when pushed or act like a toggle type button where it sits halfway when it's on? I ask because I might have some goop or something interfering with my button. When I push it it seems like it wants to pop back out but the goop or whatever is holding it in.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Honda has made many cars for many years. We can only assume this is an Accord of some year.

I think there is something about adding you car info to your signature and then setting your user setting to show that info...it kind of helps.

Start with a manual for your car. Test the switch using the procedure for your generation. As well, have you checked for any stored codes.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oops, it's an 89 Accord EX-i. In my Haynes manual it basically says the cruise system is too complicated to do yourself.

I just don't know where to start troubleshooting it. I don't have a meter so I don't know how I can test the switch, maybe I can borrow one.
I haven't checked for codes lately either, I'll go check tonight.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

89, great, right up my alley, see a few of those in my life.....The switch should stay in when pushed on. You have to push again for it to "pop out"-off.

Looks like the blue/red is power into the switch, when on the light green should have power....do you have a simple test light? Check the DIY section for a manual you can download.

Then check some of the easy stuff, vac lines under the hood going to the actuator.

And please report what if any codes might be stored.