General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Picking up on this thread as I believe i have this same problem now. I see the cruise cable end hanging free. This is a clever fix, but I can't believe how much work it is just to get access in order to make the fix. I see you need to drill holes, so I guess that means you really have to remove the TB. Anyone have any other suggestions that do not involve pulling the TB? It does look like a hard place to work. Naturally, it wouldn't be a part that breaks and is easily accessible!

I saw the note about using epoxy to secure the cable. Any further input on how to do that? Is the epoxy just applied at the end or do you go further along the cable? Has anyone else here tried that?

Thanks!

Tom

Last edited by Tom03; 05-07-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Can't say how working on it while still on the car is going to work - be able to get the right "angle" to attempt a fix.

Either way you decide to go, let us know how you go at it and how it comes out - always like to have extra ideas.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 PM

I'm going to take a look at this probably next week. I have found several listings for used TBs for $75-100. I may purchase one to have one to put back in if a repair of mine doesn't go well.

Seems like there should be a way to clip something over that part of the pulley to hold the cable in place. Hmmm. I'll think about that further too.

Meanwhile, looking at the setup, I'd say that the only time a CC cable pulls at a direct angle sufficient to break that piece is when the CC is doing a hard acceleration. Otherwise, the throttle isn't open that far ... or so it seems. My advice for people with these models that still have working CC is to not use the CC to accelerate very much (including not allowing the CC to resume a cruise speed without manually accelerating back to that point or close by). Just a thought.

Tom

Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

If you replace - or even remove and re-install....I would look into the idle "re-learn" procedure, just a thought.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:01 PM

I realize this thread is old but perhaps this will help someone. I've a 2005 Honda Accord EX 2.4l and the cruise control cable was dangling free as described by others earlier in this thread. After watching footprintsinconc's very helpful video (thanks), near the bottom of page 3, I attacked. For the most part things went well. However, I was too aggressive tightening the cable tie closest to the cruise control cable end and broke one side of the (longtime engine heat-baked) plastic groove. Even before this broke I was unhappy with the looseness of the cable end with two cable ties in place, and it became even looser after the breakage. To rectify this, I placed the throttle body and the accelerator and cruise control cables in a position so that they were stable in the engine compartment and the cruise control cable was properly in its groove. Then I used three cable ties to "hold" it in place ("hold" because if the throttle body and cables weren't in a stable position the cruise control cable would move quite a bit in the groove and the end would twist), one through the unbroken set of holes with the cable tie over the cruise control cable, one through the remaining single hole (opposite the broken side), and one through a hole I drilled beneath the groove under the cruise control cable end. Be sure that the fat ends of the cable ties wind up on top of the cruise control cable; if they're on either side they might interfere with other moving parts. Finally, with everything sitting in a stable position with easy access to the cruise control cable end from all directions, I used toothpicks to coat the cruise control cable end and all three cable ties with JB Weld Original Cold-Weld Formula. Be sure to work some epoxy into all the nooks and crannies. By the end you want the last inch or so of the plastic groove to be a solid V of epoxy, such that the cruise control cable end, the cable itself, and the cable ties are bonded together. After waiting four hours (on a hot day) I put everything back together, then I allowed the JB Weld to cure overnight. I went for a test drive today and the cruise control works as it should. Ahhh, if you're going to do this you might want to spray some penetrating oil on the throttle body's two nuts and two bolts, and the cable holder's three bolts, the night before to aid removal.