General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
standupguy
Unregistered
Default CV axle removal

I have a 94 Accord EX I am trying to change the CV axles. I have everything loose that needs to be loose. The drivers side shaft is not wanting to move from the bearing hub. Is there a retainer somewhere i cannot see? The axle is not wanting to budge. I thought maybe the sensor from the anti lock sensor was holding it back no luck Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance Brett

Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: CV axle removal

This can be a problem. Shafts tend to sieze due to tight tolerances and rust/corrosion.

There isa special tool available to push the shaft from the hub. It bolts to the wheel lugs and pushes the shaft. Look under DIY Requests for a procedure and/or search for "CV shaft".

I have had success w/ using heat, a lot of PB Blaster and a brass hammer to hit the end of the shaft and break it loose from the hub. Don't use a steel hammer or you'll damage the shaft end. I did this once and had to grind the end of the shaft off to remove the shaft from hub.

Add your vehicle details to your signature line. One of the rules here.

good luck