General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CV Joint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Default CV Joint Problem

Is it possible that my drive shaft has extended in length? I am unable to re-install my knuckle because the upper and lower ball joints won’t align, as if the outer CV joint has been displaced outwardly. The inner boot looks like it is over stretched / somehow flattened. I don’t remember pulling on the axle shaft while removing the knuckle. Yes, I can feel a play in the axle, may be half an inch. How bad is this?

I am in the middle of a job of replacing my front wheel bearing 2-door 95 Honda Accord. I watched tens of videos and read DIY manuals. It is turning terribly wrong. Both right and left shafts are recent from 9 months ago

Last edited by tmounib; 06-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by tmounib
Is it possible that my drive shaft has extended in length? I am unable to re-install my knuckle because the upper and lower ball joints won’t align, as if the outer CV joint has been displaced outwardly. The inner boot looks like it is over stretched / somehow flattened. I don’t remember pulling on the axle shaft while removing the knuckle. Yes, I can feel a play in the axle, may be half an inch. How bad is this?

I am in the middle of a job of replacing my front wheel bearing 2-door 95 Honda Accord. I watched tens of videos and read DIY manuals. It is turning terribly wrong. Both right and left shafts are recent from 9 months ago
1) you should start your own thread instead of adding to one that is years old.

2) the axles can be compressed or expanded, I do not think it is possible to easily pull the ***** from the cup. What that means is that if the CV axle is extended further than you need it to reconnect everything you should be able to push on it and compress it shorter.

Also make sure it has not pulled out of the transmission.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Remove the clamp for the inboard boot & look around. I bet the tripod bearing has pulled all the way out from the inner-driver.