General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn spark plug tube grommets!!! Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Damn spark plug tube grommets!!! Help Please.

So my valve cover was leaking on my 98 EX 2.3 so I decided to change it since it is an easy job. Bought the gasket set from Advanced and got the gasket, plug tube grommets and the valve cover bolt grommets. Everything went fine, I used the RTV sealent in the corners and around the cam humps and tightened everything down in a criss-cross pattern to 7ft/lbs. That is when I noticed that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the spark plug tube grommets got dicked up at the top where the tubes come through. There is a spring ring on the bottom and top I believe of the grommets, the bottom I'm assuming is in fine shape which is what I'm thinking would make the seal but the tubes caught the top spring ring and messed every single one up, some even ripped the spring out of the grommets while I was torquing it down. This I don't believe was an error on my part, at least I can't see how, I made sure the tubes where coming through perfect and everything was lined up, there is no way to screw it up unless the grommets/rings are just slightly too small/tight fit which is what I'm thinking. Guess that is what I get for going aftermarket but i'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this. I really don't want to have to pull the dame cover off again to fix these so I'm hoping even though the top of the grommet is shot the bottom of the grommet where it makes a seal inside the cover will be enough, does anyone have any thoughts? Not sure what to do except wait till the morning to let the RTV dry over night and then start it and see what happens...ugh, thanks for any help.

Last edited by cfiiman; 09-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

The upper seals have a groove on one side of the seal. Was that side of the seal facing the spark plugs or the hood when the valve cover is installed?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The grooves point towards the hood, the tubes come through on the other side. I was very careful to note how the originals were in there and installed the new ones identically, just not sure why all the tubes cut into them at the top of the valve cover where they come through. I just went out and looked at it again and it is almost as if the top of the tubes got caught on the spring clip as if it was too tight and just pushed some of the spring/seal up on top of the metal tube. I'm assuming ALL of the metal spring ring should be down around the metal tube and not over the top of it, see pic below. I'm just praying that it doesn't leak when I start it up tomorrow, otherwise I'll just pull the damn thing off again, grrrrr. It took like 3 minutes to get the cover off, the time was spent in the cleaning of the surfaces lol, but I still don't want to pull it back off and redo anything.

This was the best one of the bunch:

But then a couple of them look like this:

I'm just pissed b/c I don't see how this could have happened to EVERY ONE OF THEM except is the seal rings were too tight or something, in any event I can't do jack about it now except to wait and see, I'm sure they are sealed at the bottom of the seal but can they still be ok with the top ring looking like this?

Oh and when it rains it pours, my clutch master cylinder is leaking again, yeeeaaaaahhhhhh. I replaced it less than 2 years ago, guess that is what I get for buying brakeware from AZ, I'll get a new one for free I guess b/c it has a lifetime warranty but it is a PITA to get out on this car, $%@#$@^@.

Attached Thumbnails Damn spark plug tube grommets!!! Help Please.-20130904_004412_zpsc051f1b7.jpg  

Last edited by cfiiman; 09-03-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

You will have to keep a close eye on the spark plug tubes for oil.

If you replace the seals again, I like the Fel-Pro brand of gaskets. I am not sure if you can just buy the tube seals from them. You can probably buy the upper seals from the dealership. I am not sure of the cost.

When installing the valve cover, coat the upper seals with some sort of lubricant like silicone spray, oil, etc. When you put on the valve cover, make sure the tubes are lined up with the valve cover before tightening the bolts.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You will have to keep a close eye on the spark plug tubes for oil.

If you replace the seals again, I like the Fel-Pro brand of gaskets. I am not sure if you can just buy the tube seals from them. You can probably buy the upper seals from the dealership. I am not sure of the cost.

When installing the valve cover, coat the upper seals with some sort of lubricant like silicone spray, oil, etc. When you put on the valve cover, make sure the tubes are lined up with the valve cover before tightening the bolts.
Yes I wish there would have been any sort of instructions, I even searched the net but saw nothing like that, I figured out to use lube (windex) on the seals going into the valve cover but didn't even think about using it while putting the valve cover on, you live you learn. I stacked the odds in my favor just now, I went out and pulled all the plugs off and cut the bad split ring in the ones that were like that and smeared a nice dab of RTV Black high oil resistant all over the tops of the seal where it meets the tube, basically using the RTV as a "filler". I pretty sure that should stop anything if the tops of those seals would have been a problem, not the most correct way but I really don't want to pull it all off and do it again tomorrow I'll let everything dry for 24 hours and call it done. Now I have to replace the damn clutch master..................again Thanks for your help.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Did you torque valve cover bolts? Overtightening could cause crushing of tube gaskets. Spec is quite low; 86 in-lb or 7.2 ft-lbs.

good luck