General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard Backlit dont work. 1998 accord coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Default Dashboard Backlit dont work. 1998 accord coupe.

my complete dash backlit doesnt come on. every other lights turns on. head lights turns on. all fuse on the right side is all good. all fuse on the left side all good. all fuse and relay under the hood is all good. the multiplexor is good also under neath the steering wheel. all hook up to the deck is all good also. replace the cluster and still have the same problem. can anyone help? i got a 1999 honda accord coupe 5 speed manual. this problem started right when i hook up the stereo. thanx guys.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Do you have a circuit diagram? If not, you should check our Online Manuals links for possible help, Autozone, or other to find a wiring diagram.

Following is based on 94 Accord, which is likely similar, perhaps same.

It could be a bad combination switch on the stalk not supplying power. Suggest checking whether there is power on the Red/Blk (earlier Accord color) wire from the combination switch. This supplies power to the control panel gauge lights.

If you have power on red/blk, then ground is missing to gauge panel lights. Ground is supplied through the dimmer circuit control. You can pry this out of dash panel, disconnect, and jumper red to blk at the electrical connector. This supplies ground and should enable full gauge light brightness.

The dimmer circuit control seems most likely component.

Recommend to GET A WIRING DIAGRAM before performing any wire jumpering, or you could short out a circuit.

good luck