General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mode control buttons backlit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Mode control buttons backlit?

Are the air mode control buttons on the 5th gen Accords backlit? The A/C button and the two recirculate/fresh air buttons on mine are, but none of the "mode" buttons that select the air outlets are.

The individual green/amber lights work on all buttons when selected. I've looked through the service manual many times and never see a reference to changing lights in this area. The wiring diagrams show a single lamp in this control, which I suspect is the one illuminating the three buttons at the top of the control.

Bought this car used and with lots of miles, so just wondering. If there is another lamp(s) that illuminate the lower buttons on this control, is replacing them easy? I saw a You tube video on replacing them in a newer Accord and they appeared to be some sort of bulb with a quarter turn base that you use a screwdriver blade on.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

I think they are backlit. Go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum and open the online shop manuals link. From there you can get a 94 shop manual that shows how to take apart the center console. It is not too difficult to do. It will also show the bulb locations for the HVAC controls as well.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I've been through the factory service manual multiple times looking in both electrical and Heat/AC sections and haven't found an answer to my question. The service manual shows removal/replacement of the entire control unit and bulb changing all over the car/dash, but I can't find any mention of changing any bulbs in this unit.

The electrical wiring diagram show what looks like a single incandescent lamp in the control unit. The top 3 buttons are back-lit and the small lamps/LEDs in each button lights up either green or amber as intended when depressed, but none of the lower buttons is lit otherwise.

My son's 07 Accord has all these buttons back-lit, but it is of course a much newer design. I figured some 5th gen owners who have had their cars awhile would know for sure if they are lit or not. I've searched not only the site and the manual, but also the Internet in general and haven't found a definitive answer yet...

Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think I may have found the answer online. It appears there are two bulbs in the unit and it uses plastic light "spreaders" to pipe each bulb to all the locations across the unit. Apparently the upper one is good and the lower one is bad. I see there are LED conversions for these as well.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Standard bulbs available locally: "https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/heater-control-pushbutton-light-bulbs-44023/"