General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery overnight

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Default Dead battery overnight

I have had no indications of my battery going dead or even being low on charge. I started the car yesterday to take it to the store and it started fine, just like always. I get to the store and go inside, come outside and the car starts up just fine. Go to the next store and park. Go inside and when I come out I go to start my car and I can see the dash lights flickering and making that loud ticking noise and the car won't turn over. I had to have someone jump start me and I was able to drive home. Parked the car yesterday at home and just wanted to see if it would start today. Nothing, it flickers and ticks but won't turn over.

Has anyone ever had a battery go dead instantly like that? I mean usually it gives you some warning in the few weeks before hand. It will turn over slower but this gave me no warning. I didn't leave any lights on.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

I've had that happen a couple times.

95 Integra, it was simply a sudden battery failure. Annoying because I thought just like you, they always give warning.

What year car?? It's becoming more common for the car to have a battery switch of some kind that actually shuts off and prevents the starter from cranking when the battery falls below a certain voltage during cranking. I have that annoying "feature" on my 2009 & 2010 Saab. I guess the idea is to prevent the low voltage (during cranking) from damaging the computers. I just rolled & popped the clutch to start.