General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of high pitch noise?? 2006 CDTi

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Question A different kind of high pitch noise?? 2006 CDTi

I am not very familiar with engines, so please excuse my ignorance. I have done a search and found a few similar problems, but with a definite difference in the noise, so I thought I would start a fresh thread, as it may well be a different problem

My car is a 2006 Accord 2.2CTDi Tourer

All has been running fine until this week. Now, MOST (though not all) of the time, there is a very loud noise from the engine. At first, I thought it was the Serpentine Belt on its way out, but I am now pretty sure it is not that. Turbo maybe?

The noise is like a slightly screechy high pitch whistle, almost like blowing through a saxophone mouthpiece, without the sax attached.

The distinctive thing that I have not seen on other threads though is a pitch change, as I accelerate. It is kind of like the change in the sound of the revs, when going up through the gears. The pitch gets higher, to a point, then goes back down to what it started at and starts going up again. There is no correlation between this sound and the sound of the revs changing with the gears. However, the higher the gear and lower the revs, the more constant the pitch of this sound

Initially, this was only happening in low gears. After a few days, I did a journey of about 180 motorway miles, since when it has been happening in high gears as well.

I have not had anything recently changed in the engine

Any help would be appreciated, especially if put in simple, non-technical terms

Ta

Old 11-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

We don't get the CDTi here in USA, so it's kind of guesswork. I'm gonna edit the title to attract the attention of the UK members...

You mentioned the turbo... How difficult is it to open the ductwork & get access to the actual turbo spool? Spin it go check smooth bearings? Try to rattle it to check for loose bearings. With a bit of axial and/or radial play, the vanes can begin to hit the housing. Is it that kind of noise?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:46 AM

Well, it seems it was the bearings in the alternator, which died on my way home from work last night. Once the RAC attendee charged the battery up and turned the engine on, he listened to the noise coming from the altenator said straight away, "that's where your noise was coming from!"

Jim - First of all, thanks for your response. Secondly, it's a shame you don't get this model in the US. It's lovely to drive

Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

I've driven a couple diesels in UK (hire-cars) and been impressed. Haven't got a Honda yet. Yes, it's a shame we don't get it.