General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Humming/high pitch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Default Front Humming/high pitch Noise

I have a 2001 honda accord EX.

I had my tires rotated and some engine work done and once I got the car back a humming noise comes from the front of the car when I start to go in reverse or randomly happens when driving. It sounds like it is coming from the front right passenger door. It will happen for a little while then go away when driving at normal speeds.

The mechanic noticed it when they took it out to make sure they fixed the engine properly. To see if it was a wheel bearing they tried to wiggle the wheel when it was jacked up and it didn't move and they said that probably wasn't the culprit. They said everything looks fine and for me to drive it around to for a few days to see if it stops.

Since the tires were just rotated I don't think this is the problem as I have read about tires making noise if they are not balanced or not rotated often enough.

I checked the power steering fluid since I read it may be the problem but it is in between the min and max value.

It doesn't matter which way I turn the wheels when I reverse, the humming/higher pitch noise happens.

Can wheel bearings make a humming/high pitch noise when barley moving?

Any ideas???

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

There is a dust shield behind the brake rotor that could give you that noise if it got bent and was rubbing on the rotor. I have seen this happen only if the steering knuckle or ball joints were removed or replaced and hit by a pry bar.