General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dire need of help or ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Default dire need of help or ideas...

Originally Posted by dunnskii
Hello,U helped me w/sumthin before, so I Thought id try again...Short and sweet of it at this point is...Crank pulley came loose yesterday, both belts came off, the crank pulley was loose enough that I could remove it. Was able to start car so i could move around on my yard this morning. Found my pulley and key pin are toast, but after all is said and done with, now I try to start my car and it wont, all though it did this morning. No codes are flashing, I disconnected power to see is some thing might reset, still nothing, sounds like its not gettin fuel?, changed main relay 3 months ago. Should it start w/out pulleys and belts on, I assume it should since it did this a.m. are there any manual resets? Im freakin out any ideas u might have would be great. Im on dissability so I cant just run it up to the local mechanic...and where might be a good place to start looking for a reasonably priced pulley... Thanks so much if u can help in some way...Dave

Old 12-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I would not start the car until you get the pulley and especially the key replaced. That key holds the crank pulley qnd the timing belt gears in place.

What is wrong with the pulley and key?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM

the pulley key hole and the key(pin) are all twisted and no longer square, im gonna try to post some pics so u can see, but in the mean time, so, now that Ive tried starting it multiple times w/out the key in, what have i possibly done to it ??? I put the key back in and still wont start... and what do i do from here ??? I am a disabled person on disability and need as much free help as I can find. Thanks for the reply. I do kno this , i have to replace pulley and key, but now sounds like there is some thing else needs to be done since it wont start, please lemme kno wut i might do... thanks, Dave...ps, im freakin out about this...lol

Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you tried to start the car without the key in there, the timing belt would not move and the pistons could have hit the valves.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 PM

im not that mech inclined, so wut duz that mean, i heard no strange noises or anything, are u sayin i messed up the engine ???

Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't even crank the starter without the key in place. Too much further damage is possible. (pistons can hit the valves & bend them - then you'll be looking for a new engine)

If you aren't able to do this kind of work yourself, have the car towed to a shop.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Default kk ty

wow, i hope i didnt jack it up, i guess ill have it checked out at the Mech's shop... ty for the info