General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

direct ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Default direct ignition problems

Hi im new to the forum and have searched for info, no luck yet. I have a 2004 honda accord ex-l 3.0l v6 6 speed. Its been an awesome car. it has 220,000 mile on it. 2 weeks ago i spun a rod bearing... I determinded it would be cheeper to buy a used enigine rather than buying all new internals and the cost of machining the old block and heads. I did a bunch of research on compatability. the engine i ended up getting was out of an 2003 sedan with automatic trans. only differance was the intake plentum and different part number for one of the cylinder heads. i verifyed the the crank sensor was the same for both cars, and the cam position sensor (or top dead position sensor).
New (used) motor is now in but wont run right... i used the wire harness of my old motor on the new (used) one. Im not getting spark at my plugs... it will for a short time enough to start somewhat... im not getting any engine codes for this. i have looked into honda direct ignition system to find out how it works. i understand that a sensor with different resistence can cause problems. but they are the same part numbers and there for cant be different. any insite or help would be greatly apreciated

Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Did you check that sensors for your motor and your old motor match? Crankshaft position (CKP) and Camshaft Postion Sensor (CMP).

Was timing belt changed? Have you verified engine timing?

Anytime an engine is swapped, loss of key ground wires can cause starting problems. Something simple that is easy to overlook.

good luck

Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 PM

Yes they are the same honda part number. I did change the timing belt and re-set timing. ground wire was lose opon first turn of the key... i tighted it and tryed agian it ran but not right. also verifyed timing agian after car wouldnt run right.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Then something is missing; fuel or spark. Have you tried starting w/ starter fluid to see if it will catch/run for a few secs? If yes, then fuel delivery may be problem; fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, main fuel relay.

good luck