General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Combination Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
mgabe2706
Unregistered
Default DIY Combination Switch

1.I have a 1988 Accord. Have a bad combination switch (has a short in the Hazard switch). Need to replace but can't find a detailed procedure on line to remove the combination switch. I have a copy of the shop manual, but this repair (removal and installation) is not described.

2. Is it practical to replace with used parts or is this a must "new parts" repair?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Default RE: DIY Combination Switch

The cost difference from new to used would probably dictate (for me anyways) which part I went with. If you buy a used part just be aware that there is no warranty on it and who knows how long it will last. I personally would probably feel safe with a used part unless I planned on keeping the car for a long time. As far as the procedure goes search this forum for free online manual and you can find a free pdf manual, then go to the steering section of it and you'll find the procedures

Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: DIY Combination Switch

for such an older car if you can find a used switch go with it......

To replace it,,,,,,,,first off, make sure wheels are straight, stweering wheel straight, .. remove the center cap off the steering wheel, remove the 19mm nut off the steering wheel , disconnect the cruise control plug, pull off the steering wheel, remove the upper and lower covers, ,remove the 4 little screws for the cruise ring,( move to theside ) remove the screws holding the combo switch in place, you might have to move the blinker switch up and down to easier get to the screws ,,disconnect the plugs, they are under the dash,, just follow them from the combo switch,
reconnect in reverse order