General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Evaporator Cleaner Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:20 PM
Default DIY Evaporator Cleaner Help

So i have been lurking around Honda forums ever since I bought my '06 Accord and have usually been able to find all the help I need. This time, however, I have struggled to find a solution and figured I needed to ask around for help.

My Accord has that nasty smell coming from the A/C system that many people have posted about and I found from many forums and asking my maintenance guy that an evaporator cleaner is the best way to get rid of the smelly bacteria for good.

I located what I think is the drain hose (this is where the water drips out of after I turn the A/C of at least) and need to insert the cleaner hose into this drain hose. The problem is that the drain hose is either clogged or has a bend in it that wont allow the cleaner hose to go inside. Have any of you had this problem? Is there a better/another way to clean the system or a way to unlatch the hose so it wont have any bends?

Here is a pic of the end of the hose. It is to the left of the passenger side wheel. Is this the right drain hose?

Thanks for looking!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Your thread has been moved from the the DIY section of the forum as we longer used that section for help question. Please don't post help questions there. The General Tech Help section is more appropriate.

1. To clean the A/C evaporator, it is not necessary to spray cleaner up the drain hose. You can use a product like 1Z Klima Cleaner.

This video is for an 8th generation Accord; but, the procedure is the same for the 7th generation Accord (your car). I used this product with great results.

2. If your drain hose is clogged, see this link:

Drive Accord Honda Forums - View Single Post - A/C Condensation Drains Into Cabin

Since the ECM/PCM is located under the center console area on the 7th generation Accords, you want to make sure that the drain hose is not clogged and that is properly attached, as water or the cleaner can damaged the ECM/PCM.

8th generation Accord's ECM/PCM are located in the engine compartment; so, they don't have the same issue of liquid from the evaporator drain possibly damaging the ECM/PCM.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you replaced inlet air filter? This can cause nasty smells also.

good luck

Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 AM

Typically the drain hose if clogged can be opened with a short blast of air. Get the car up and do a short blast of air into the end of the hose. See if water starts dripping out. Run the car with a/c on and see if water drips out, if not try another short blast of air. We usually can get them to drain this way as all the air is doing is breaking up the clog.