General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DLC help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Default DLC help please

Im fixing up my 96 accord. I hooked up my scanner and it will not read. Now the scanner lights up so there is power to the DLC. Can't find any blown fuses. I have 3 scanners and the same result happens. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

Thank you

Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Does Check Engine Light come on for 2 secs and go off when you start the car? If yes, ECM is likely OK.

The 96-97 Accords have both Obd1 and Obd2 systems. Suggest creating a problem (disconnect idle air control valve connector) and see if system blinks code 14 for IACV on CEL.

If yes, the ECM is OK, and fault is likely a wiring error to DLC. Someone could have damaged the pins in the DLC preventing a correct connection.

Wiring diagram I found shows only 3 pins, B+ (power), TXD/RXD (2-way data line), and ground. I could not find a pin diagram of the DLC, but you should be able to find B+ and ground w/ a multimeter. A data probe may be necessary to ID TXD/RXD. I seem to remember pins 4 & 9 can be used to reset w/ a jumper, so suspect one of those is ground and other is TXD/RXD.

good luck

Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 PM

I had a skipping issue a couple of months ago. At that time the scanner would read. The check engine is on. The O2 sensor is bad. I had to replace a part of the exhaust so I replaced the O2 sensor while I was there. Now I have low power so I am thinking that the muffler is stopped up. Which is most likely why the center section developed a hole in it. I wanted to scan the car before I through a muffler on it. Anyway, I will go out there and check the pins. Other than that that every thing on the car seems to be ok. It's just odd that the scanner works but displays error.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

The DLC for the 5th gen Accords was rudimentary compared to later generation Hondas.

Refer to attached image of DLC terminal numbering.

DLC terminal No. 6 - Lt Grn/Red wire to SRS unit (DLC input/output).
DLC terminal No. 8 - Red/Wht wire from underhood Fuse No. 36 (15A).
DLC terminal No. 12 - Blk wire from ground G401 (behind left side of dash). (Note: from circuit diagrams, 1996 Accord possibly may not have a Blk wire at DLC terminal No. 12, like a 1997 Accord.)
DLC terminal No. 13 - Brn/Blk wire from ground G101 (intake manifold plenum).
DLC terminal No. 15 - Lt Grn wire to ECM (K-Line DLC Input/Output).

1. Check under-hood Fuse No. 36 (15A).

2. Measure voltage between DLC terminal No. 8 (Red/Wht wire) and body ground.

Is there battery voltage?

Yes – Go to step 3.
No – Repair open in Red/Wht wire between DLC terminal No. 8 and under-hood Fuse No. 36 in under-hood fuse box.

3. Measure voltage between DLC terminal No. 13 (Brn/Blk wire) and DLC terminal No. 8 (Red/White wire).

Yes – Go to step 4.
No – Repair open in Brn/Blk wire between DLC terminal No. 13 and body ground (ground G101).

4. Measure voltage between DLC terminal No. 12 (Blk wire) and DLC terminal No. 8 (Red/White wire).

Yes – Go to step 5.
No – Repair open in Blk wire between DLC terminal No. 12 and body ground (ground G401).

5. Turn ignition ON (II).

Measure voltage between DLC terminal No. 13 (Brn/Blk wire) and DLC terminal No. 15 (Lt Grn wire).

Is there voltage?

Yes – Turn ignition switch OFF. The go to step 6.
No - Turn ignition switch OFF. Disconnect the ECM connector C460. Make sure OBD scan tool is disconnected from DLC.

a. Check for continuity between DLC terminal No. 15 (Lt Grn wire) and body ground. If there is continuity, repair the short in the Lt Grn wire between DLC terminal No. 15 and ECM connector C460 – pin C8.

b. If there is no continuity between DLC terminal No. 15 (Lt Grn wire) and body ground (which means there is no short to ground), then go to step 5.c.

c. Check for continuity between DLC terminal No. 15 and ECM connector C460 – pin C8. If there is no continuity, then repair the open in the Lt grn wire between DLC terminal No. 15 and ECM connector C460 – pin C8.

6. Substitute a known good ECM and recheck.

Attached Thumbnails DLC help please-dlc-connector.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-06-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Thank yall for the help. I have an update. Unfortunately none of the pins I was given on here or the ones from ondemand 5 were correct. Could just be my car. Anyway, the issue with low power and the scanners not reading were caused by the brand new O2 sensor I put in. I don't under stand it yet, I just figured it out about 5 minutes ago. So if anyone runs into this issue, here is your solution.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

The terminal pins I provided is from Honda and should be correct. Since the DLC port have female cavity terminals, the pin numbering is from the wire side (see attached image).

Attached Thumbnails DLC help please-cavity-numbering-system.jpg