General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door locks not wkg after Broke into 1997 Accord 2.0 ils UK RHD non auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Default Door locks not wkg after Broke into 1997 Accord 2.0 ils UK RHD non auto

Spent hours searching before starting a new thread.
It's 05:10 in the morning here in UK so I need to get to bed and check for replies later.
Problem: Key fob stopped working so I locked all doors using the handles.
Prior to this door locks worked fine.
Then broke in by opening driver's door from inside with wire hook.
Hazardlights flashed horn but didn't sound.
Disconnected battery.
Car now starts and runs but now other 3 door locks won't operate when I lock or unlock driver's door from inside.
I assume I need them working to program the replacement remote -
Is this true?

I've tried disconnecting battery overnight - still no joy.
Could you please advise on how to reset the alarm/door system.
Had a thought: A few months ago I removed fuses for both front windows (sticking) Would this affect alarm reset procedure? I'll put them back!
Would disconnecting battery and shorting terminals for 15 minutes help?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Do you know if the system is factory or aftermarket? In the US only the SE and EX Wagons came with a foctory system.

When you opend the door with the wire - could you have knocked off one of the "rods" to the locks?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Car had about 4 prev owners. Mileage was 70k now 90k.
Door locks are factory fitted. Only driver's door has lock but key has never worked - always used single button remote fob: one press to lock - next press unlocks.
Key did open boot originally but stopped wkg months before current problem - suspect some **** tried to break into boot. Have now tried dealer who said fobs were after market and it would cost a fortune just to investigate. The system in the boot was fitted years ago by major Honda dealer who's since gone bust but the fobs they provided with it actuate the factory-fitted sensor located just above the central mirror.

I said I broke in with wire hook but actually I got hold of the inside button on top of the door (immediately below bottom of window) with a grab and pulled it straight up.
I've removed door card and checked rods were correctly in place.
With card on or off: Pushing button down locks door - Pulling button up unlocks door.
Moving button up/down works for driver's door but there's no effect on other doors.
My thought was that something needs resetting after alarm was triggered.
I did try removing both battery leads and leaving them shorted together with a fat jump-lead for about 2 hrs but no joy.
I'll check all fuses again - I did replace both front window fuses I'd removed.

The car still starts and runs; everything seems to work apart from the central locking. The main (only?) reason I am trying to get central locking working is so I can reset the remote fobs (using the excellent instructions on this forum) and secure the car.
At the moment the car is not securable so I'm now thinking about getting the driver's door lock fixed (new barrel) and forget about central locking and remote fobs.
Still, I'd really appreciate any further suggestions or comments and it may help others in a similar predicament. Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Again, I only have the diagrams for the US/Canada versions of this year Accord......willing to try just want to be clear on what I have to work with.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Thumbs up Replacement Barrel for Driver's Door Lock 1997 Accord 2.0 ils

Thanks Poorman.
I've now managed to get round the problem with the remote fobs.
I got the barrel from the driver's door lock off a 1998 Accord from a scrapyard (junkyard) for £5.
I'd been told that if my key fitted into the barrel then the barrel could be modified to fit my key.
(Hope this tip might help other members.)
Having bought the spare, this meant I had a back-up if anything went wrong so I then modified the original barrel myself with a file in less than 10 mins. Replacing the barrel took longer as I found it a bit fiddly as I'm over 70 (yrs - not mph).
Now have a secure car and have the central locking working.
Not got round to trying to get fobs working yet as I've been trying to catch up with stuff I couldn't do when car was out of action.
Now I've learnt a bit about locks I'll investigate the boot lock - when I find the time.

Thanks again for you replies. When stuck with a problem it's so reassuring to know that you and other members are there ready to help in any way you can.
Thanks again - Keep up the good work. J.