General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door switch/interior light circuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Default Door switch/interior light circuit

I just bought a "like-new" 1989 Accord LX-i. Almost everything works on it except for a problem with the interior lights (and the power locks, but that is a whole other issue). When any door is opened the interior lights do not come on, nor are the doors indicated on the little dashboard display (which I know works because all 4 door light up in the ACC position). Also, when I turn the key off and open the door with the headlights on there is no warning chime. If it were just one door I would think it was a bad door switch...but all 4? There doesn't seem to be a fuse dedicated to this circuit and I can't see anything really out of whack. Any experience/thoughts? Any idea where I can get a hold of a wiring schematic?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

You can get a shop manual for an 86 accord from the sites in the online manuals thread in the DIY section. That should be pretty much the same as your 89 accord.

It looks like the dash fuse number 2 (10 amp) might be a common fuse. Just look around the body electrical part of that shop manual.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM

I downloaded the complete 86-89' Accord manual from Hondahookup.com. It has all the schematics and even tests to perform to diagnose problems...very nice. I tried the easy fix and switched fuse #2, but no dice. Must be somewhere else in the circuit. It is one of the stupid problems that can take forever to diagnose but I am infamous for leaving my headlights on and killing batteries so it is def worth the time. sigh...

Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 AM

I went to a yard today to look for a part for my pathfinder and on a whim grabbed a door switch from an accord. For $1 and 30 second install I thought it was worth a shot? What do you know, it was the door switches all along! I went back and grabbed the other 3 and now the whole interior lighting/dash display/chime circuit works! Who would have thought that all 4 switches would go bad?!?