General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining A Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 PM

The t-stat, stays closed until it hits a specified temperature, then it opens to let the water flow to the block. Sometimes they get stuck.

Honda's usually warm up pretty fast. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, checking if the hoses are getting warm. Does the fan come on after it gets hot? I had a bad (dead) fan on my 95, there is a relay that can go out. I tested mine by running a clippy wire (speaker wire) direct from the battery to the fan connector. Check + / -

Turn on the AC, both fans (not sure about your year-2 fans?) should run. Is the heater getting hot? If the fluid is clear (yellow or green), then start calling around to find out how much a mechanic charges to diagnose "overheating", and/or repair.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM

My A/C doesn't work! The guy said it needed to be recharged or charged... something of that nature. Also, my mom said there is a certain way to put the radiator cap back on, how do I that? She said to press it in until it goes past the threads? Won't that damage the threads? Also, the radiator is apparently topped off with something. It is clear looking, I can't say that it is all water because the spillage left some residue behind that I had to clean up. Also, does this container for the coolant come out of the car? It seems like it is stuck? should I be trying to get this thing out or just fill it where it is? Thanks!!! (I should have been a mechanic, instead I took up knitting). :-)

Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

The rad cap has two steps/tabs. It will only go on, to start with, one way. Then from there "slight" pressure downwards until it will not turn anymore. Don't have one in your year range but my 95 takes just shy of 1/2 turn to have it on all the way.
From here you can "test" a few things. The cap is on (we just completed that), the coolant in the rad is full, you stated that it was "topped off with something". Need a friend, have someone start the car and stay there watching the temp gauge, you are infront of the car with hood up. Put your hand on the upper rad hose...this is where the friend is important, if the temp gauge gets over 1/2 to 3/4 they turn off the car without any input from you. As you have your hand on the hose and the temp gauge goes up you should feel the hose "get warm/hot". About the time the temp gauge gets to just below 1/2 the hose should warm up. If it does "good" the thermostat is opening but we aren't done yet. Still if the temp gauge gets above 1/2 or towrds 3/4 shut it off! Still wathcing the gauge and holding the hose, don't burn your hand hold it very loose and take a break ever now and then..do or does any of the fans come on as the temp gauge goes up?.....again, if the gauge get too high SHUT the car off. Major damage can/will be done if the car overheats.

EDIT: DO NOT-DO NOT take the rad cap off at any point until the car is COMPLETLY cooled off!

Last edited by poorman212; 06-20-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Thanks for all of the advice and instruction! After adding the antifreeze, and some oil, the care isn't over heating anymore! So that is a plus! Yes! I had a mechanic take a look at it and he said that it is a pretty decent car, it just needs a little tlc. :-) So happy about that! Thanks a lot! I guess I will be posting again, with more questions if and when they arise :-) Thanks, again!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear you are back on the road. I do suggest giving it the TLC it might need. One last thing, please keep an eye on the temp gauge. It could have been low on coolant, question as to where it went but that is for another day. My main worry would be that a thermostat can stick "sometimes" and work other times.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Before you drive the car everyday, open the radiator cap and check that is full of coolant. Look on the driveway for spots of coolant as well.

With the damage to the front of the car in your other post, the radiator could have been cracked. Just keep an eye on it for a week or to to see if it was just low or leaking.