General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side halfshaft not budging

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Jeffmo
Unregistered
Default Drivers side halfshaft not budging

The drivers sideaxle won't separate from hub on my 96 Accord EX 2.2 AT. The lower ball joint has been seperated and axle ready for removal. I've tapped & slugged on it with a little sledge hammer. It'snot moving at all. It's pretty solid in the hub right now. Any thoughts on getting it separated?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Drivers side halfshaft not budging

man i have had a few of those,, what i had to do in some occasions is to use an air hammer .. spray some wd-40 or other kind of penetrating oil,, let it sit a bit then try to hammer it again,, i would install the nut back a few threads so you do not mushroom the axle and will make it even harder to remove it from the hub ..anyho,, once nut is on, get a big punch and a big hammer and hir the center of the axle .. if that does not work you might have to try the air hammer route

Old 02-17-2007, 06:51 PM

I had the same exact problem on my 94. They seem to seeze up commonly (had the same problem on my 92 LX as well)

Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

"PB Blaster" both sides of the axle stub. I've seen them get a rust ring on the inner hub side.
another trick is to be spraying the axle on the outer side as you run the nut back on with the impact; it will trap a 'puddle' of penetrating fluid behind the nut. Then rotate the hub every few minutes.
Some parts stores that loan tools might have a small Axle press to loan you.
The heavy duty Axle presses are hard to find, but I found one

Old 02-18-2007, 01:21 AM

An air hammer is def the best route. You can srew the threads up but slugging it with a hammer and then the fun really starts.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Jeffmo
Unregistered

Well, after using the air hammer on it for over an hour...I had to put it back together. It was not movingwhat so ever. I think Hondadude has the right idea for this condition. I need to find out where I can find one and try to press it out this weekend. I'm not to worried about the threads getting bugger'd up, I've got a fresh replacement ( that's if it comes out? ).

Honda wanted $400.+ and I'm only into it for $80. and a few hours sweat & tears. It's easy enough to disassemble, so I plan to pull out all the tricks, as long everyone keeps them coming.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I damaged a shaft end removing w/ a 3-lb sledge hammer. I knew at time I might have to replace entire shaft, but it was no good in place, so I banged away till it finally broke loose. I then had to grind a bit of end of shaft off to get it to pass through the hub. I needed to replace a ruptured boot, so I called around and found a shop that replaced the boot and chased the threads on the shaft w/ a split die on end of vise-grip type clamp-wrench. When re-installed, I barely had a full nut on the shaft, but it's held up for a couple of years now.

I've often thought if I had this problem again, I would get a 3-lb brass hammer. The brass is soft enough to avoid damaging the shaft but you can still deliver some hefty blows to the shaft end. As pointed out liberal use of PB Blaster and heat will also help.

good luck

Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Jeffmo
Unregistered
Default RE: Drivers side halfshaft not budging ( revisited )

I wasn't able to find the beefy axle press that Hondadude posted...but I did find the next best thing. I purchased a hub puller for all wheel drive cars for about $30.00. The shaft was solid through the first inch of travel out of the hub. It was creaking and popping with every turn on the puller until it finally dropped out.I was very relieved that the replacement only cost around $115.00

Thanks for help!