General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ECM Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Default ECM Code

I have a '95 Accord with a 4 cylinder vtec. I have done a complete ignition tune up and I still have what feels like a ignition miss. The miss can happen at slight acceleration and at higher rpms. If I put the car in park and run the engine up to 2700/3000 rpms the engine will start missing and surging up & down watching the tach if that makes any sense.

I do have a CEL but when I try and pull the code by of course closing/shorting the ECM test circuit all it will give me is 4 fast flashes, no slow flash for a 1st. digit code. If I could get a code it would of course give me a starting place.

Anyone seen this before?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Code 4 is for Crankshaft Position Sensor, which is part of the distributor housing.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

You have a code 4. That is for the crank position sensor in the distributor. Take off the distributor cap and look for any damage to the wiring inside. Is there a lot of oil or a heavy coating of a red dust inside?

Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You have a code 4. That is for the crank position sensor in the distributor. Take off the distributor cap and look for any damage to the wiring inside. Is there a lot of oil or a heavy coating of a red dust inside?

So you guys are saying that for a code 4 faulty CPS there (would not) be any long cel flash to begin with for the first digit of the code.

It would just give 4 quick flashes as it does?

Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Code 4 by itself, without any other trouble code(s) present, would not be preceded by long flashes.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Code 4 by itself, without any other trouble code(s) present, would not be preceded by long flashes.

I understand, I will pull the distributor cap tomorrow and see if I can find something wrong.

It didn't start doing this until after the water pump seized up which allowed the timing belt to jump bending both exhaust valves on the no.1 cylinder which I have already replaced all of this and I know for a fact the engine is timed correctly.

I appreciate you fellows help with this, really.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fomoco1
I understand, I will pull the distributor cap tomorrow and see if I can find something wrong.

It didn't start doing this until after the water pump seized up which allowed the timing belt to jump bending both exhaust valves on the no.1 cylinder which I have already replaced all of this and I know for a fact the engine is timed correctly.

I appreciate you fellows help with this, really.

When I finally got the time what I had was a faulty aftermarket CPS but the ignitor & coil were OE. The "distributor re-man company" put a aftermarket CPS in it and and didn't touch anything else because it was OE and in good condition then called it "remanufactured".

I've put a complete OE distributor with ignition components on the engine re-timed it and it runs & performs perfectly as it was designed to do.

It was in fact the internal CPS, thanks a lot guys for the help with this,really.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad everything is fine now. Thanks for reporting back the fix.