General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecu fuse blows in first gear at full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Default Ecu fuse blows in first gear at full throttle

yesterday morning i was trying to adjust my distributor because i noticed i heard it pinging at low rpm so i rotated it clockwise. After the fact i took it like a half block down in full acceleration in first gear and it completely died and did not want to crank over. I checked for spark and no spark. So i checked my distributor and ignition coil at autozone and they said they were fine. So i went back and checked the fuses under the hood and noticed the ecu fuse was no good. So i changed it and it happened once again. so i tried a 20 amp and this time it felt like it cut out at 4000 rpm but kept accelerating. but only in first gear i have this problem. every other gear under full acceleration it runs great. i put a 40 amp fuse and it ran fine until i lowered the idle with the screw on the throttle body and its been having the same problem since. What can be causing this?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suspect an ECM board fault is causing high drain. If you keep increasing the amperage, you may be rewarded w/ a fire. Suggest removing and examining the ECU. You may need a replacement.

If you adjusted the throttle plate idle stop screw, you made a mistake. This is not to be adjusted. Idle is adjusted w/ the throttle body bypass bleed screw on TDC of throttle body intake. Adjust idle w/ IACV disconnected to 600 +/- 50 rpm. Reconnect IACV and reset ECM to correct engine code caused by disconnecting IACV.

good luck

Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'd also say that a timing light should be used - be sure to use the proper procedure so you are not fighting the ECU - to set the timing