General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

egr cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default egr cleaning

If I'm going to follow the procedure 98-074 to clean the egr ports on my 1992 accord LX 4 cyl., what gaskets do I need and how many of each?
I printed the instructions, and they list 2 o- rings and 1 gasket, plus the plugs (I'll get 6 of these so I can replace the 4 rear and 2 forward).
looks like I can buy the screws locally, the tap and drill bit as well (says no. 25 bit, what size is that?) andI can borrow a slide hammer.

I went to majestic hondas website but can't find the plugs - where do I buy these online? p/n 17199-pt3-ahm.

any other tips before I buy the parts and give it a try?
is this difficult to do? id do all regular maint. plus alt/starters/radiators/etc., but never this type of stuff.
are the brass plugs difficult to remove? do i need a slide hammer or can they be yanked out with a pliers after tapping and setting in the screws?
thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: egr cleaning

I would purchase four new orings for the fuel injectors, the top-end small orings. Lower rings are more robust and can be re-used. Don't buy ridiculous priced injector oring kits ($7/cylinder I was quoted), just purchase matching orings. Use oring lubricant (Nylog) or petroleum jelly to lubricate all orings, and insure seating w/ good sealing. Check closely for fuel leaks on the fuel rail -injector seals when you restart. I got massive leaks when I re-used old orings (pliable but very worn from vibration). You may need a new EGR valve gasket if you clean the EGR valve.

I managed to re-use my intake manifold plugs by potting the holes I drilled for the slap-hammer w/ J&B epoxy. You will likely drill through at least one or two plugs. I tried to knock centering punch points in the plugs to guide the drill bit, but this only drove the plugs deeper. I think driving the plugs down did some good to break the friction. Use very easy licks on the slap hammer to pull the plugs out. Hard licks will pull the screws out of the plugs.

For cleaning the ports, I picked a drill bit slightly smaller than the smallest hole (#1 hole I think) and long enough not to drop into the intake manifold, if you loose your grip on the bit. Do not use a power drill to clean, only hand turn the bit. Use lot's of throttle body cleaner to help. I found a small screwdriver to be very helpful in cleaning the ports. I also used a wire to clean and an air nozzle to blast throttle body cleaner through the EG passages in intake manifold from EGR valve to ports and got a lot of crud out w/ blasting.

EGR valve can be cleaned by pushing the pintle in manually injecting some throttle body cleaner, allowing soak, and blasting w/ air. You can't physically reach pintle and seat area to clean manually.

good luck

Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

if i don't mess with the injectors( do I really need to?) I don't need the o-rings right?
I was just planning to take out the plugs, clean the ports with a wire and vacuum, and put new plugs in.
I just can't undrstand what the o-rings and gasket that are listed on the service bulletin are for.
maybe I'm not thinking this through....

Old 07-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I removed the injectors, fuel rail, and fuel rail mounting studs to ease access to the plugs. You might do it w/o removing them, but it looked difficult enough job w/ good access. I released the tiedown nuts on the fuel rail, removed the fuel rail and swung out to drivers side, removed injectors, and removed fuel rail studs.

good luck