General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electric Windows - down but not up

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM
dc197
Unregistered
Default Electric Windows - down but not up

Hi everyone
I hope someone can offer some advice to a n00b.

The elctric/power windows on my 97 accord have always been dodgy. Only one has worked fully. A problem I have just suffered is that one of the windows (rear right) winds down but not up. This is true whether I use the driver's master switch or the local switch on the rear right door.
The window will not return up, and I don't think that the motor is even pushing it at all - I cannot feel or hear anythign struggling.

Could both switches have half broken? That they turn on only down and not up? Am I right in thinking that I could bypass one of the switches and temporarily close the "up" half of the circuit in oder to wind up the window?

Could the motor have half broken and will push only down and not up?

The driver's window has never worked and when I looked inside it once I saw that the glass has been held in place (closed) with stiff wire hooked under it and attached to the door chassis. Could that have been a temporary repair by a previous owner rathet than buying a new motor/mechanism, and if so could replacing the motor or mechanism return my driver's window to me?

Grateful for any advice.

Daniel

Old 12-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Electric Windows - down but not up

I am actually just dealing with sort of the same problem. Both front windows go down great but are VERY slow going up. I took the door panels off this weekend and lubed them up and tried to find if anything was wrong. The lube did help the drivers window but the other one is still the same. I think with my accord being a 97, the motors are just going bad and will need to be replaced. Bump for more feedback from the mods or vets here.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Electric Windows - down but not up

you really need to get the door panel off and test for power and ground at the motor.
I'd have to guess the the wire on the drivers window DID NOT come from the factory that way.
Those cable style regulators have all kinds of problems, so the fact it goes down but not up sounds like a typical problem. The replacement regulators are around $125 and come with a new motor.
I'd say to replace the drivers and clean and lube the window run channel, the rear one might need replaced as well.