General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Windows Will Lock, But not Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Default Power Windows Will Lock, But not Unlock

Hey all, this is my first post. I'm having a problem with my power locks. I own a 97 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 4 door. Today my friend and I took off the door panel on both the driver side and the passenger side to fix some minor problems with the door handles and windows. Well, in order to do that, we had to unplug some plugs (duh) to completely remove the panel. When we were finished, we plugged in the plugs and reassembled the door panels. I then noticed the problem with the door locks that had never happened before. When I press down on the door locks on either side, the doors lock fine. When I press up, nothing happens, not even the sound of the locks trying. My friend thinks he knows the solution. He thinks that the problem might be a burned out part under the driver side window controls. I tried messing with the power lock with the plug under the window controls unplugged. I noticed that the doors will still lock with that part unplugged, so I'm assuming that the window control plug has nothing to do with the power locks. I don't think that both power locks parts would go out on both sides just from unplugging and replugging them in. I'm not sure what to think here. Maybe something was left unplugged? The doors will lock but not unlock. I have to manually unlock them. Everything else works fine. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Default RE: Power Windows Will Lock, But not Unlock

I don't have a definitive answer for you. However if they worked properlyprior to removing the door panels I would tend to think something was not hooked back up the same way that it was prior to their removal. Take them off and critique your work.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 AM

Well, we both checked both door panels and the connections behind them. We're pretty sure that nothing was left unhooked or hooked wrong. Thanks for trying though. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:41 AM

As one who has had the door panels off in my cars a billion times over the years, my first guess was that something is in the way. Maybe the door lock is wedged up against something or other. Maybe the door skin was put back on a little crooked and keeping the lock from coming back up.

Best thing to try is to take the door panel back off and unhook everything and check for clearance issues. Then reattactch everything carefully and make sure its all secured. Then put the door skin back on and see if it works.