General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical interruptions infrequently

Old 04-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Default Electrical interruptions infrequently

Lately I've been encountering a strange issue with the 2007 Accord (110 K miles); the radio, dash lights and tach electrical power interrupts (goes out) intermittently and the red seat belt illuminates simultaneously. This interruption last for no more than 1 second, then power is resumed as if nothing happened. Most recently, the orange engine icon went on again for the 2nd time this past month. Although since the car drives ok, I wasn't too concerned. However yesterday, it was raining (very moist) and I encountered the electrical interruptions frequently, approx 6 times in a 5 minute drive travelling 25 mph. My wife drove it last evening and said she encountered the same problems but the car "lurched" so I suspect ignition might be a possible symptom as well.
This issue occurred a couple of months ago but only a couple of times which couldn't be replicated or isolated and only the radio was affected that I observed. I initially thought it was related to the satellite signal.
This morning, I went to Autozone and they tested the battery and alternator. All checked good but since the engine light was on, the code was defined as P0685 ECM/PCM Power Relay Control Circuit / Open.
A little history....several years ago, I encounter severe corrosion on the positive battery terminal in which the car wouldn't start. The tow truck driver replaced the connector with an aftermarket, and everything was fine. So, today I notice the corrosion had returned. I disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled the terminal connector. After reattaching, and starting the car, the engine light was off, entered the radio code and everything seems fine again.
Did I solve the problem? Should I take it to a dealer or enjoy my success and wait and see?

Last edited by alsdock; 04-22-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say that you likely fixed the problem.

If this was my car, I'd buy a new positive battery cable and install it. I'd probably do the negative side too. You didn't mention if you had a 4 or 6 cylinder, but accessing the starter is kind of a pain on the 4-cylinder. Not sure about the V6.

I've seen videos where problems come up with aftermarket replacement terminals that are horseshoe shaped and the metal has some flex. I've seen aftermarket connectors similar to the OEM that may last longer.