General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Power Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Default Electrical Power Failure

I have a 99 Honda Accord V6 automatic with 195,000 KM.

After driving the car for about 15 minutes tonight I was at a stop light, listening to a good tune and gunned it off the line when the light turned green from gear D3. Got up to 80 KM/H and switched it to D4. 1-2 seconds after the switch there was the slightest jerk or power loss and I noticed that the green key light indicator lite up on the dashboard for a second and went away. This jerk was not the transmission I'm sure of it and coincidental based on the key indicator lighting up. I then noticed there was a mild smell of electrical burn or plastic burning.

15 minutes later on the highway doing 100+ KM/H the speedometer and rpm needles dropped to 0 and all the dash lights went out, but the engine didn't cut off because I could hear it as I accelerated but the car was coasting and not accelerating.

Put it in neutral, hit my hazards button and I saw them signal on the dash and coasted to the shoulder. Turned off the car, waited 30 seconds and started the engine up again and all was back to normal.

When I got home, the burning smell hadn't gotten any stronger but it seemed to be coming from the steering console or behind the dash when I stuck my nose closer. Stuck my head under the steering column and I really couldn't smell anything there.

Any feedback would definitely be appreciated with what seems to be an electrical short. Any ideas? Is this a known defect with these models?

This car has run for me rock solid for 100,000 KM and 9 years.

Last edited by RagingBull; 03-01-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Could be a flaky ignition switch? Pause and green key-light would fit the same behavior as if you had turned off the key for a fraction of a second then back on.

Where are you? KM might be Canada or Europe? Europe has a different car with the Accord nameplate, Canada has the same car as USA.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 AM

JimBlake, thanks for the response.

I'm in Canada and based on the green key light coming on does make sense with what you're suggesting. I did try to wiggle the key while in the ignition after this happened to see if the car would turn off or if the green key-light dash indicator turned on, but not sure if this type of troubleshooting would necessarily would replicate the issue.

Any advice how to possible confirm if it's a flaky ignition switch? What would the cost roughly be on a job like that with parts?

Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

If you get it to screw up by wiggling the key, then it's a flaky switch.
If you can't get it to screw up by wiggling the key, that does NOT prove the switch is good.

A new switch is maybe $50 down here, and you can probably change it yourself if you want. If you have a multi-meter you can do some troubleshooting. Some people have talked about contact looking burned or something. Maybe remove the plastic shrouds around the steering column & see what you find? The electrical part of the switch is on the far end of the key cylinder.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If you get it to screw up by wiggling the key, then it's a flaky switch.
If you can't get it to screw up by wiggling the key, that does NOT prove the switch is good.
Understood.

I will investigate it further. Appreciate your time.