General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger window power failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Default Passenger window power failure

I lost power to the three passenger windows in my '06 Accord LE. Driver's window works fine as well as sunroof. Have engaged/disengaged locking button for windows, checked fuses, but no success thus far. Welcome any suggestions.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM

Sounds like a short to ground somewhere. Someone else could answer this because I dont know, but if those windows run in a series a short to ground sounds like a possiblity. I would start at one of the motors and see if your getting voltage to them. Finding electrical problems can be very hard if you dont know what your looking for.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Sometimes the window locking button breaks inside the switch. If the windows are locked not even the driver cant control them. I Had the same problem. Didnt know till i replaced the whole switch and took the old one apart. Junkyard 5$

Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Any recent work done to the car?

Do you have a volt meter? If so you can test the inputs/outputs of the switch.

These two pic's are just part of the testing, all you need for this is something to "jump" the pins......two pieces of wire

Attached Thumbnails Passenger window power failure-7th-gen-power-window-pin-numbers.jpg   Passenger window power failure-7th-gen-power-window-wire-test.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm beginning to believe that the problem is in the window locking switch. When I hit each respective window switch for the 3 passenger windows, I hear a click in the window switch on each individual door which leads me to believe that I'm getting power from the master switch to each door switch. Can you tell me how to either repair or disconnect the window locking switch? Since I don't use the window locking switch anyway, I'd rather just disconnect it if that's the quickest fix. Thanks again for your advice. msartell

Old 04-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

As far as I can tell from the wiring diagram, the wiring is internal for the window lock switch.

jroxz44 - Is the switch easy to take apart? Since you took the original switch apart, is this repairable? Or can you "repair" it, so the passenger windows will be unlocked all of the time?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM

As a follow-up to my original question about 3 of my passenger windows failing to work, you mentioned that the problem is probably in the window locking switch. Do you know if I can disconnect that switch since we don't use it anyway? If not, can just that switch be replaced or do I need to replace the entire master switch? Thanks for your help.

msartell