General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems after cleaning my batt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Default Electrical problems after cleaning my batt.

I've got a 96 accord and I cleaned the battery just last week. Cleaned it all out, replaced all the connections and set it back up like I have multiple times on multiple cars. This time, unfortunately, my stock radio has locked me out. All it says is "code" and then from time to time it beeps really loud. I've been looking for codes all over the place and can't seem to find an answer. On TOP of that my turn signals won't work. The flasher just buzzes EXTREMELY loudly. I've replaced it with a new one and got nowhere. I've been told multiple different things: "Could be the combination switch.." "Could be this.." "Could be that.. " "Don't do anything before you spend a hell of a lot of money for people to look at it..". Point is, I'm broke and I need to get this fixed. Got any suggestions?

Much thanks,

D.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

For the "code" problem, the radio is asking for the security code, which normally occurs after battery power is disconnected. Normally, you can get the code from a dealer after providing proof of car ownership, for example registration slip. On some Honda forums some Honda techs have access to ISIS (Integrated Service Information System) and can retrieve the code for you if you have the radio serial number. They sometimes browse certain forums. I don't think most of the members on this forum have access to ISIS.

For the turn signal problem, if this happened after the battery cleaning, it may be a ground issue. Otherwise, it may be coincidence. Is the hazard button plugged in?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
For the turn signal problem, if this happened after the battery cleaning, it may be a ground issue. Otherwise, it may be coincidence. Is the hazard button plugged in?
Yeah, the Hazards work fine and the blinkers work for about 30 seconds AFTER I've had the car off for a good while then it goes back to the buzzing. So I know it's not the lights and I know it's not the flasher. So it's either the ground or something wrong with the switch. I'm reallllly hoping it's just a ground issue haha. Either way, I'm more than likely taking it into a shop this week to get it looked at. But thanks for the input on the radio. I'll take it into a dealership this week and see how it goes

-D.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 AM

If you can't get the radio code at the dealer for some reason. There are plenty of places that you could get from the internet, just google it, you will have to pay for a small fee maybe $10 or so, but they can get you the code really quick.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sometimes previous owners/mechanics will write the radio code in a hidden location; under ash tray, inside glove box, door jam, fuse box, etc.

Good Luck

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think you can get the radio code from Honda Owner-Link.

www dot ahm-ownerlink dot com

You'll need the VIN when you register as a user.