General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine miss when engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Question Engine miss when engine is warm

I have a 1989 Accord (2bbl) that has an engine stumble or miss when the engine warms up. It starts hard (like it's flooded), and tries to die under acceleration. When it gets to 2000 - 2500 rpms, it smoothes out and will run smooth. This all seemed to start when it ran out of gas (not sure if that is connected or not).

Items that have been verified and or replaced: fuel pressure is good (new fuel pump) and both filters changed, plugs/wires/cap/rotor have all been replaced, checked vacuum advance (working), timing is good. I have replaced almost all of the vacuum lines.

I am pretty sure the problem lies with the carb, but not sure where to start. I have checked and verified all the vacuum diaphragms are good and not torn.

Any ideas would be helpful!!

Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Can you check the float level - sight glass can be seen from the drivers/left fender when the air cleaner base is removed.

Also...or pull the screen over the throat of the carb.....don't drop the nuts into the carb and look for gas "dripping" into the throat. Remember that when looking down the throat you should not see gas at all. This pic shows a place where I have seen a few of these start to leak.

Attached Thumbnails Engine miss when engine is warm-3rd-gen-carb-throat-my-leak.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 12-10-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: add the pic you big dummy?????
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM

Thanks for responding!!!

I will check for float level. As far as the dripping fuel in the throat, will it drip all the time or just under acceleration? And will that cause a stumble and try to kill the engine under load?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check that choke plate is fully opening w/ warmed engine. Sticking choke will cause problems.

good luck

Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IDHONDA
As far as the dripping fuel in the throat, will it drip all the time or just under acceleration? And will that cause a stumble and try to kill the engine under load?
You should never see fuel dripping into the carb. If you can/do see fuel "drops" going down the throat....there is an issue.

Then since I haven't gone out on a limb today............
When you have the air cleaner base off - checking the float level. Look at the back side of the carb....between the firewall and carb. The OE vac lines have numbers, #7 vac line where it connects to the very base of the carb.....give it a gentle tug/push with a screwdriver and be sure it is not burnt thru right where it connects to the carb.

For future reference...is this an auto or manual trans?