General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine missing while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Default Engine missing while driving

2012 Honda Accord V6 36,000 miles on it.

Hello everyone! First time here and glad to find the site.

I'm having an issue with my Accord and need some advise. I bought the car for my girlfriend last February and it had about 15k miles on it and she has been driving it back and forth to work about 100 miles a day round trip. We've been noticing that the engine seems to miss every once in awhile while driving at highway speeds. We've tried different gas and I've even used a gas treatment but the problem has persisted over the past few months. It is not consistent but usually happens at least once on each trip. I've read about the class action suit and didn't find out about it in time but haven't noticed any excess oil burning at all. I checked the front 3 spark plugs (couldn't locate the back 3 and it was getting dark). The front 3 looked fine. So a couple of questions. Where are the back 3 located? If those 3 look fine and don't show anything what would be your next step? Should I replace them anyways? Should I look into a fuel injection cleaning?

I'm used to working on an old school Jeep so the Honda is a little new to me but I know my way around an engine for the most part. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Jskonz; 01-28-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

You can check with the dealer to see if there are any PCM software updates available which may help the missing.

If you're not getting DTCs P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304 , the dealer probably would charge for normal diagnostic.

American Honda extended the powertrain warranty to cover repairs related to engine misfire (that triggers DTCs P0301 through P0304) to 8 years with unlimited mileage from the original date of purchase and has settled a class action based on this remedial measure.

The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state’s law.

The piston rings on certain cylinders may rotate and align which can lead to spark plug fouling. This can set DTCs P0301 through P0304 and cause the MIL to come on.

********************************************'
Cylinder 1, 2, and 3 are at the rear, while 4, 5, and 6 are at the front.

Since you inspected the front spark plugs, that would be 4, 5, and 6.

The affected cylinder are usually 1, 2, 3, and 4.

If there was the misfire DTCs, then you may want to bring the car in for the extended warranty.

If not, you would have to do normal diagnostic for the miss.

Attached Thumbnails Engine missing while driving-coils-1-2-3.jpg   Engine missing while driving-coils-4-5-6.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-28-2015 at 01:36 PM.