General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine "sputters" while driving at normal poerating temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 PM
notamechanic
Unregistered
Default Engine "sputters" while driving at normal poerating temp

I need help, this thing has me stumped. I've got a '91 Accord Ex, PGM-FI Automatic with close to 300k on it. A few months ago i put a used trans with only 100K in it and fixed a major problem. Now, my check engine light has been coming on for months and i only recently found out how to get the codes from it. It is giving a code 43 (fuel system). now my problem is this(remember the light was coming on well before this problem started), the car idles fine, but when it warms up to "normal" on the temp guage, it sputters when you give it a little gas, like when you are taking off from a stop light.the longer you drive it the worse it gets.I've changed the following--plugs , wires, dist. cap, rotor, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter.I'm baffled. the Chiltons says that a code 43 is usually an O2 sensor, which to my understanding shouldn't make it run poorly.my plugs did have a dusting of carbon on them when i pulled out the old ones, and i noticed a little oil around the threads on plug #1. would this be causing all my trouble?maybe the injectors? fuel pressure regulator??? any and all help is appreciated.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Engine "sputters" while driving at normal poerating temp

Try disconnecting the vacuum line to the egr valve to see if it goes away.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
notamechanic
Unregistered

ok, i disconnected the vacuum line and , what do ya know! no more sputter!! now within a mile of driving it , the check engine light came on, i got the codes. code 6-coolant temp., and code 12 EGR System.,since i changed the coolant temp sensor already and checked the voltage going to it i figure it's fine, does this mean the EGR valve is bad or do i need to remove the brass plugs and clean out the carbon from the system???is there a way to clean it w/out removing the plugs? and how do i test the valve to see if it's shot?can it be cleaned?

Old 08-10-2006, 10:57 PM

The valve is working, dont need to do anything with it. The egr ports need to be cleaned out. You can remove the intake manifold and dig them out with a bent piece of coat hanger but it's easier to just remove the plugs and go through the top.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:59 AM
notamechanic
Unregistered

Great! i saw the link to the artilce about that in the DIY forum. can i get that kit from a parts store or do i have to order it from the dealer?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
notamechanic
Unregistered

Well, just thought i'd post and say thanks. that fixed my mind boggling problem. it runs as good as it ever did. thanks again.and it wasn't as tough a job as i thought it would be.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 AM

Yea that's an easy job.