General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise is still there...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
nyclocoengineer
Unregistered
Default Engine noise is still there...

Hi fellow Honda Lovers...

I wrote a few months back about a noise in my 2002 accord motor (4cyl vtech). I followed sir nasty's advice and a few other tips and still can't locate the noise. Popular opinion from various wrenches suggest it might be a cam issue and maybe a valve issue. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. It sounds like an ignition "ping" but it is really an engine "knock" but not the kind generated by a crank shaft bearing. It sounds like 4 little Elfs under the hood with small ball pien hammers clinking away when the engine is cold and sometimes when it's warmed up. I usually hear it upon acceleration and never as I'm just tooling along at the same speed. I've tried this oil additive from a company called Lucas. It's a molasise goop that is supposed to "stick" arround to assist in cold weather. It seemed to me that it'd bee better to just have really thin 5-20 oil when cold but I'm not an engineer (well I'm kind of an engineer being that Irun trains). Two mechanics stated that they didn't want to take my money to try to diagnos the issue and that when it blows up than we'll know what's wrong. I don't want it to blow up. Blowing enginees up costs too much money, yes? Oh please help meeee....lol If any of you folks have heard of a similar issue please advise me. I thank the group in advance for any help that can be afforded to my "issue" :-) John PS: it has 55000 miles.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Default RE: Engine noise is still there...

How long has it been like that? That sounds like a rod or something. I had a car that made the same type noise, it had a cracked rod. The rod had never broken and the engine still ran fine, but it wasn't really economical to fix and would have eventually broken.

I will add something else as well, have you checked your timing. I have heard them make a ticking/pinging noise, but I would never picture anything like a "hammering" noise.