General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Engine Oil & How Much To Add ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 02:13 PM
hmr
Default Which Engine Oil & How Much To Add ?

I own a 2000 Accord EX sedan 4 cylinder / AT with about 90,000 original miles on it, I just discovered that I have a small engine oil leak. The source of this leak hasn't been determined yet ( But, facing the engine, the drop (s) is depositing on the ground beneath the left rear area of the engine near the firewall ). I checked my engine oil level and the dipstick reading is about 1/2 way between the tip of the dip stick and the lower mark. Could you please advise me what volume of engine oil I would need to add in order to bring the oil level up to normal ? Also, what specific oil should I use ? The oil change sticker currently on my windshield just indicates that Honda service used " Honda Genuine Synthetic Blend ". Thanks much for any help.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hmr
I own a 2000 Accord EX sedan 4 cylinder / AT with about 90,000 original miles on it, I just discovered that I have a small engine oil leak. The source of this leak hasn't been determined yet ( But, facing the engine, the drop (s) is depositing on the ground beneath the left rear area of the engine near the firewall ). I checked my engine oil level and the dipstick reading is about 1/2 way between the tip of the dip stick and the lower mark. Could you please advise me what volume of engine oil I would need to add in order to bring the oil level up to normal ? Also, what specific oil should I use ? The oil change sticker currently on my windshield just indicates that Honda service used " Honda Genuine Synthetic Blend ". Thanks much for any help.
Keep it simple, buy two quarts of name brand 0W-20 or 5W-20 (0W-20 and 5W-20 oils are pretty darn good across the board), add a quart, and then add enough of the second quart to bring the oil level up to the top hash mark on the dipstick. The oil change sticker is simply a B.S. way of generating income for the dealership by insisting you buy their oil; your Owner's Manual states no such a requirement.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

The recommended oil viscosity for your car is 5W-20. You do not necessarily have to use synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil. The car did not originally come with it or require it. You can pick up practically any name brand 5W-20 oil to top off.

You may have just been sold synthetic blend motor oil at the dealership if you had a sticker reminder stating that was used.

Generally for your engine, 1/2 way between the dipstick upper and lower marks would approximate 1/2 quart. Add a little less, then check and top off as necessary. If it is below the lower mark, you can add more than one quart and recheck.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-25-2013 at 02:43 PM.